• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

banging on door in early hours

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
again i was woken up by banging on the door in the early hours of fri night, leaves me feeling bad been woken up in the middle of the night from my meds

Mentioned it to support worker once he said brent police have better things to do than spend 700 pounds on a cctv system for you

If it helps keep me out of hospital at 3000 a week it might be worth spending the money

I know it's ok for the rich to buy cctv but it's immmoral to give it to the poor

I feel it's because certain ubdesirable people know theres a vulnerable person living here and think he can be encouraged to contribute to party funds, i guess this isn't the first time i've had human predators digging at the entrance to my burrow

I wish it'd stop

S

Saranoya

Have you ever just opened the door when this happened? At the very least, you'd know who they were, then. And you could ask them why they're bothering you. Tell them to stop.

If they still don't stop, then, you can go to the police and file a complaint against a known party. And again. And again, if need be. If they still don't stop after that, you go to court and get a restraining order.

There may be a solution to this problem that does not involve giving you a cctv system.

Alternatively, of course, you could save up for a year or so, to buy and install one yourself ...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
in my area if i confront them and they attack me the police aren't likely to do anything, they're more likely to take action if schitzo me defends myself, going to the door half asleep is risky and if i called the police i'd be likely to be waiting up all night

You need money to go to court and get a restrining order,

i was harrassed by problem kids before there were problem kids and disability hate crime, making an issue of it with english churches housing assoc, well the caretaker used to blame all the problems on "Another of maggie thatchers care in the community patients has been housed in such a no flat" he was one of the problem families that had been promoted from the ranks and as far as the parents were concerned it's that lunatic complaining about our innnocant kids

Last edited:
S

Saranoya

[
You need money to go to court and get a restrining order,
True.

The way I see it, though, you can either *wish* it would stop and be frustrated, or do something to try and *make* it stop.

If you think a CCTV system is the solution, well fine, get a camera for less than £30 on Amazon. It'll take you eight months to save for that at a rate of £1 a week. Or just two months, if you can do £4 a week.

The way I see it, that beats waiting for the police to intervene on your behalf, especially if you're right in your assumption that they probably never will.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my neighbour with leaarning difficulties in one area when he was beaten up i said you can talk to your sister about it, he said my sister doesn't understand about these areas

CCTV cameras are cheap you need a recording system to connect them to and to mount them i'm not technical that way

maybe i should see it as part and parcel of social housing, remember that social worker saying we haven't any decent housing the rethink advocate said can you put that in writing so we can use it for campaigning purposes, of course he didn't

S

Saranoya

Actually, you just connect the receiver to a screen. I'm guessing you already have some kind of screen in the house, since you're posting here. If not, here's one that will run you less than £13.

As for not being technical that way ... neither am I. Neither are a lot of people. But when you have more time than money, and an internet connection, there are a lot of things you can learn to do for yourself. Just give yourself a few hours to watch YouTube videos, try things out, get it wrong a few times, and then go ahead and do what you set out to do.

You may be "schizo you", but you're not helpless. Unless you decide to be.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
whats the good if it's connected to a screen when i'll be asleep and not watching the screen when it happens

I have looked into it theeres one with a motion sensor that will override the tv picture but you have to be watching tv at the time

I did go to the window and open it once some women i heard laugh, my support worker advises me not to confront them

CCTV you'd need to mount outside means drilling a hole through the wall so a wire can connect to a recording system

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
when i was harrassed i don't know how many years i banged my head againsi a brick wall, the housing assoc said i was mentally ill and making too much of the problem kids, i turned it round and thought i should then be getting help of social services saw this social worker, she said i should be grateful top have a roof over my head and that helps only for those who've been sectioned and i doubt you've ever been sectioned

I'm scared making an issue of it could make things worse, if it is youths they'll know they're getting a reaction

This wome marritua moved she's now complaining about the new place

They'll say i won't be happy anywhere, that the problem is in me (aren't you saying that) rather than social housing is crap

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Saranoya

I am not saying that the problem is you. I'm saying you can't expect other people to solve your problems for you, so if you want things to get better, figure out a way to make them better.

You can convince yourself that there is no solution to your problem, and that everything I suggest is crap, because I'm not you and I don't understand what it's like to be you. And you're right: I *don't* understand what it's like to be you. I am not schizophrenic. I have never been sectioned (I did come close once, after a suicide attempt). I do not live in public housing. I have a job, and enough money to get by.

But like you, am a "vulnerable person". I use a wheelchair. I have epilepsy. I've had my wallet, my phone, my groceries, and even my shoes stolen off me, sometimes *during*, or immediately following, an epileptic seizure. I have been attacked with knives, by strangers and also by non-strangers. I have had broken bones due to violence against me. I've been raped, more than once.

None of that was my fault. That doesn't change the fact that I have to figure out ways to make the world a safer place for myself. Nobody else is going to do it. And it certainly won't help to decide that the world is a hell hole, and there's nothing we can do about it.

If you have legitimate complaints about public housing (which it sounds like you do), don't wait for someone else to put it in writing. Do that yourself. Find out who to contact, and send them a letter. It is possible that they won't listen to you because you're "just" a mentally ill guy living on taxpayer's money. It's also possible that your letter will be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back, following thousands of similar complaints from people in your position and their advocates. Maybe this time, it will click with someone in charge. The point is, you don't know until you try.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've never been sectioned that was why the social worker refused help, i did try and find a lawyer, mind referred me to this one i phoned he kept asking if i'd been sectioned when i said no he ended the call, i think he was right this was befors disability discrimination, the only right i had was that if i had been sectioned which i hadn't it's an offence to abuse someone committed under the mental health act

When i phoned mind again they said they're field of expertise is sectioning law, i've had the same thing hapen to friends wsho the mind legal dept refuse help

I haven't given up the new care act talks about safeguarding, that might be where i'm entitled to help, i do belong to campaigning organisations i post here

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
thanks after so many times banging my head against a wall it's not nice to be encouraged to do it again

S

Saranoya

Nikita,

I live in the "Maritiemwijk" in Sint-Jans-Molenbeek, Brussels. My neighborhood is notorious for being one where police never set foot, for fear of agitating the locals too much. The last time I was robbed, at my front door, my upstairs neighbor called the cops on my behalf, and was told I should come to the station if I wanted to file a complaint, because they were not going to send anyone to come see me "in that neighborhood".

Rambo and I are not that different. We are both people with chronic illnesses. We have both been the victims of bullying and violence, now or in the past. We are both scared, sometimes, to go to sleep, each for our own legitimate reasons. But because I have a job, and therefore "a middle class life", and because I choose not to believe that there is nothing we can do, I should shut up and let "real victims" do the talking?

OK. Noted.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Have seen a very cheap remote camera system that a friend installed in his flat - i also installed a £10 wired unit that watched the door. Have also adapted people's intercom systems with a switch that turn's it on & off. You can get dummy cameras as well, that are a deterrent, & internet enabled/remote camera systems. There are security solutions/deterrents. You have a load of savings Rambo, even if you payed a local security installer, it's not that expensive - have seen a security package - alarms/cameras & installation for a few hundred.

There are ways to address it to a degree.

If i was local i'd do it for you - a sign to say images are being recorded for the purpose of crime prevention, & a camera system.

My security is a baseball bat hidden by the door & replica semi auto gas powered metal BB gun.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
yes i installed an intercom system so i don't have to open the door, put it on a timer which switches it off at night

maybe i should pay but savings have been dropping fast, and it's permanent, i'm not sure if i want to spend money, places i live in don't feel like home or long term living

i note this american blaming the victim idea is getting more popular with the growth of american world power, if i say more i could really be a victim of guatemalo bay