• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

bad withdrawal

N

Nutter_09

Hi all,
I really need some advice...
After a really bad patch and suicide attempt, my councellor made me see my doc to change my meds. I was on Venlefaxine Efexor 150mg since Feb and on Fri he gave me Mirtazapine 30mg. My old ones were taken in the morning and if i ever forgot to take it got bad withdrawal symptoms.
I had my last ven on Thurs morning and was due to start the new ones Fri night - I started suffering really bad withdrawal symptoms (at least thats the only thing it can be). I have
Palpatations, especially in my head???
Numb, tingly lips and tounge
dizzy and bad vision, when i look at something else, i get the palps and dizzy.
Im also having really bad sweats, hot/cold/hot/cold. I wake up and am completly soaked but shivering.
I have been taking the new tabs at night and sleep really well for a few hours then it starts all over again.
I dont have much support and have just been getting through by laying in the same position. I tried to contact NHS direct but due to the swine flu, they cant take my call.
I really don't know what to do - no docs or anyone to ask now and I am soo angry that my doc has done this to me.
I still have my Venlafaxine, should I just take them until I can see someone??

Please help, I am desperate.

A

Apotheosis

I still have my Venlafaxine, should I just take them until I can see someone??

Please help, I am desperate.
That may be best. I know if I have a really off day, then I take a valium to take the edge off things. I'm not prescribed them, & get them off the street. I'm not suggesting you do that - just what I do. I do understand, withdrawal effects can be horrific.

It sounds like you are trying to deal with things as best you can - take things very easy, try & get good food & rest - drink plenty of water. If you can get around supporting, understanding people; then do so.

Could you get an emergency appointment with a GP at the hospital? & discuss all this with them? Or even go to casualty?

If things do get really hairy - then phone an ambulance. I'm not saying it to be melodramatic or scare - there is a potential for withdrawal effects to be life threatening.

You may find some helpful info here -

http://www.freedom-center.org/freedom-center-icarus-project-publish-coming-psychiatric-drugs-guide

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I would ring NHS direct or your out of hours GP service. Venlafaxine is known for difficult withdrawal and should be tapered gradually. I've experienced it and its hell.
KP:hug:

Q

quality factor

I concur with previous posts having been through the experience of Venlafaxine withdrawal too. Mine was by mistake but it was absolutely awful.
I would have thought you might have had a gradual withdrawal of the Venlafaxine and then a gradual build up of the Mirtazipine. It certainly should have been tapered off under medical supervision, you have to some extent gone 'cold turkey'. I would seek medical advice as soon as you can if it persists or gets worse.

Good luck,
QF.

jax

jax

I stopped effexor for only 2 days and I experienced awful side effects. I was in hospital at the time. I had a weekend pass and stopped it then. When I went back to hospital on the Sunday - I was feeling 'weird' I felt really anxious. I couldn't sit still. I too felt like my brain was palpating. It was just awful. I was on this drug when it first came out. So I had not heard about these problems coming off it. I finally went to a nurse and told her about how I felt. I didn't mention the anti-depressant as I didn't know it was relevant. The nurse rang the duty Dr and got me a stat dose of largactil. She thought I was anxious. About an hour later I thought about the fact that I had not taken the effexor and mentioned it to the nurse - she told me you must stop that drug slowly and that stopping it suddenly was the reason why I felt so awful. She rang the Dr and got me a dose of effexor. Within half hour - I felt a lot better.

I don't know why your GP stopped it suddenly. I am sure it is the reason why you are feeling the way you are. Definitely take another one - you will notice an immediate difference.
Jacqui

N

Nutter_09

Thanks all, but still totally confused and really p***ed off now with my doc, Its not worse but not better. I have diazepam and venlafaxine, what should I do?
No GP service for me and the NHS are "busy"!!
Just laying in my room with sunglasses on staring at the wall.
Great support i have - a close friend who knows about the suicide attempts etc called earlier to ask if i could watch her 11month old daughter!!!! WTF even I know I am not capable.

I knew that meds should NEVER be stopped like this but was soooo low that i just went along with it and do nw feel like ive gone "cold turkey"

N

Nutter_09

OK i gave in and tool my old venlafaxine and will forget the new tablets. Just gonna sleep it off and hope that i feel better when I wake up (or even better - dont wake up at all)

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

*hugs you*

I hope you're okay, leave a message when you're back online.

Emily.x

N

Nutter_09

Hi,
Thanks again for all your help and advice yest.
I took the venlafaxine last night and started to feel a bit better. It started again this morning so took another one just now.
I can't be bothered to go to the doctors again!