• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bad Session With Psychiatrist

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Not even quite sure where to start with this. Last time I saw my psychiatrist was before Christmas, and I was doing really well then. Fast forward to now, still recovering from not having seen my therapist for over a month and that triggering my attachment and fear of abandonment issues. I decided to be honest with my psychiatrist and tell him how that affected me, and he asked me how, since I was aware of those issues, how I could have let them get the better of me, and went into CBT mode, and I started crying. He was not comfortable at all with me crying and I don't really remember exactly how things went. I tried to explain to him that when I feel something deeply I can tell myself what's true until I'm blue in the face but it still doesn't change how I feel, and he basically told me that wasn't true. He told me that I am an adult, and I don't have to be overwhelmed by my feelings the way a 5 year old would be. I felt so belittled. He asked me why I wanted to see a psychiatrist and I told him about needing someone to prescribe meds, someone who was open to neurotherapy and me gradually coming off my meds. And then he explained that he usually likes to do therapy with his patients as well as prescribing meds, but said that for right now, if I want, he'll just schedule 5 minute appointments for prescribing meds and that's it. I walked out of there feeling totally stunned.

pepecat

pepecat

Ucccccchhhh.....

For people supposedly helping people when they are most distressed, psychiatrists can be the most patronising unsympathetic idiots ever.
Can you swap psychiatrists?
And he should know, that when you're undergoing therapy and its bringing up all sorts of crap, that you ARE going to be more vulnerable and less resiliant to fighting the triggery stuff and thoughts and emotions that your 5 year old self has. That's what happens when you're trying to replace one set of coping mechanisms with another - there's a period during that when you're vulnerable.

Pffffftttttt. Sounds like a complete twonk to me.
Just because you're aware of why something is the case, doesn't mean it stops you feeling it, necessarily.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's odd, because my first 2 sessions with him were really good. And even today I could tell he felt bad for upsetting me, but he didn't have a clue how to respond, and that I didn't want him to go into "fix-it" mode. All I wanted was a little empathy. I don't really want to switch to a new psychiatrist because he is actually open to the neurotherapy and me coming off medication.

J

jeztepes

not a very proffessional psychiatrist or a decent human being ,,,,, bin him and ask for another

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Totally.
And he should know, that when you're undergoing therapy and its bringing up all sorts of crap, that you ARE going to be more vulnerable and less resiliant to fighting the triggery stuff and thoughts and emotions that your 5 year old self has. That's what happens when you're trying to replace one set of coping mechanisms with another - there's a period during that when you're vulnerable.

Just because you're aware of why something is the case, doesn't mean it stops you feeling it, necessarily.

D

Deliah

Ah Sweetheart, he is just clearly not an emotionally intelligent person. Definitely find someone more aware and enriching to work with you. I found is emotionally very painful when I became attached my therapist and it happens often that we do become attached. It's absolutely ok for you to be having all the emotional feelings you are having. Adults cry too. It's not childish to have feelings, it's human. I know that you say you want to stick with him because he is open to you coming off meds and I can understand also that that is attractive but you clearly felt very unsupported. I hope you find someone who suits you better. Love D x