• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

bad anxiety when sitting in a room of people

S

sullv

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I was wondering if anyone would have any advice for me or if anyones having similar issues; ive had really bad anxiety in the past but ive worked really hard on it and its gotten better. I used to not even be able to talk to anyone and i would stay inside and avoid everything. Nowadays I can talk to people when i have to work on group assignments in school, order food, schedule an appt, stuff like that, it usually starts out really awkward but when we start talking it gets better. But when im just sitting quietly in class, or have to ride the bus, i cant shake it off and i feel like everyones watching me even though i know theyre not. I get really bad twitches because i tense up and im way too reactive to othwr peoples body language, and it makes other people visibly uncomfortable, which is totally understandable. I feel really bad because i know im spreading anxiety and freaking people out but i feel like i cant control it.
Ive tried controlling it but i feel like it makes it worse, like if i try to stop twitching i just get more tense which makes it worse, and ive tried just not caring about what people think but that doesnt really work either. Its so frustrating because i know that nobody cares and its fine but i still react and make people uncomfortable. When im on the bus i usually crane my neck to the side so that i cant see anyone in my peripheral to try to make it stop. Its weird vecause i truly dont care what others think of me and when im out of the situation its fine and i can let it go, but during it still happens and i can see that im making other peoples anxiety worse and it makes me feel terrible.
If anyone experiences anything similar or has any advice that would be amazing. I want more than anything to just be able to relax during the day and get things done, lol. Thanks!

M

Megan333

Hi Sullv, I actually just joined this forum too and have started replying to anything that I can relate to on any level. But I really relate to.what you said.
The tension, when trying to stop twitches or the anxious feeling, when you think everyone's watching you. I actually will get one person blatantly staring at me, and when I look at them to smile or just a quick glance. They will continue to look and then I get the "everyone's staring feeling."
I'm actually under immense pressure with a nightmare neighbour but this site is helping me, as I already suffered with anxiety and panic attacks etc.
Good on you to have gotten over a lot by yourself!!
Reading what you said, it seems it's when your sat alone, these problems come back. So your ok in a group or one on one. What about reading or listening to music? Just to occupy your mind during these solo times

Eleison

Eleison

Oh, I too feel that everyone stares at me. Someone did it the other day on the tube [subway] and laughed at me when I tried to look away. It's hard.

S

sullv

Hi Sullv, I actually just joined this forum too and have started replying to anything that I can relate to on any level. But I really relate to.what you said.
The tension, when trying to stop twitches or the anxious feeling, when you think everyone's watching you. I actually will get one person blatantly staring at me, and when I look at them to smile or just a quick glance. They will continue to look and then I get the "everyone's staring feeling."
I'm actually under immense pressure with a nightmare neighbour but this site is helping me, as I already suffered with anxiety and panic attacks etc.
Good on you to have gotten over a lot by yourself!!
Reading what you said, it seems it's when your sat alone, these problems come back. So your ok in a group or one on one. What about reading or listening to music? Just to occupy your mind during these solo times
Hey Megan, thanks for replying!
Ive had that happen too, where people just keep staring. Its pretty weird, but it kinda makes me feel better in a way because when i accidently make eye contact w/ people at least i try to smile or something, like, im doin my best, im not acting as weird as i could be, haha. I catch myself thinking that other people know more than i do, or are "better" and are judging me, but in reality were all usually on the same level.
For some reason i have issues when i read, because i feel like if my eyes get too close to the edge of the page then people will think im looking at them :/ i know its not true, but i still have issues. Podcasts have been working better than reading or music, because i can focus on what theyre saying and get into the story.
I'm sorry about your neighbor, i hope things get better for you!!

S

sullv

Oh, I too feel that everyone stares at me. Someone did it the other day on the tube [subway] and laughed at me when I tried to look away. It's hard.
I hate it when that happens, like, people know something bugs you and try to push your buttons. Another reason to feel better about yourself though, i think im weird but at least im not an asshole like that, lol

M

Megan333

Think we all have the same issue and its comforting to know, we are not alone with it.
Thankyou and I hope so too.