• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bad anxiety about everything

Midnight.Panda

Midnight.Panda

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here! I’ve been so anxious about my future, especially about getting a job after I graduate. I think I might end up jobless and useless and maybe even homeless while my classmates will be okay in life. I get anxious about going to meet a friend the next day or for showing up to a zoom lecture.

I always thought I had social anxiety, but this year it seems more generalised. I get nauseous and shaky and I can’t stop worrying. It’s starting to really affect me because I am not enjoying things I should be enjoying (eg going to get coffee with a friend). I am just so frightened about the next day and it feels safer to just be in bed all day and do nothing.

D

Dispatch

I’ve been trying this lately ... and as simple as this is going to sound, I’ve been chewing gum when I start to feel anxious ... here’s a brief description of what i saw on the subject the other day:

A study out of Swinburne University found that people who chew gum while multitasking under stress had lower cortisol levels, reduced levels of stress and anxiety, and increased levels of alertness and performance. Another found that chewing gum can improve a negative mood, and increase levels of peace and calm.

I dunno but it seems to keep me focused until the anxiety goes away ... it might be worth a try 🙂

P

Purpleplum

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here! I’ve been so anxious about my future, especially about getting a job after I graduate. I think I might end up jobless and useless and maybe even homeless while my classmates will be okay in life. I get anxious about going to meet a friend the next day or for showing up to a zoom lecture.

I always thought I had social anxiety, but this year it seems more generalised. I get nauseous and shaky and I can’t stop worrying. It’s starting to really affect me because I am not enjoying things I should be enjoying (eg going to get coffee with a friend). I am just so frightened about the next day and it feels safer to just be in bed all day and do nothing.
You're at a stressful time of life...the transition from school to job. Do you have any plans on how you'll go about looking for a job or anything? Maybe, if you make a plan it will take some of the stress off. Start with small steps.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I’ve been trying this lately ... and as simple as this is going to sound, I’ve been chewing gum when I start to feel anxious ... here’s a brief description of what i saw on the subject the other day:

A study out of Swinburne University found that people who chew gum while multitasking under stress had lower cortisol levels, reduced levels of stress and anxiety, and increased levels of alertness and performance. Another found that chewing gum can improve a negative mood, and increase levels of peace and calm.

I dunno but it seems to keep me focused until the anxiety goes away ... it might be worth a try 🙂
Very interesting. I’m going to definitely be buying some gum to try this for my anxiety/focus issues

D

Dispatch

I started noticing a while back these top pro golfers were chewing gum at their tournaments where concentration is key ... and of course a lot of baseball players seem to chew gum ... the pitchers throw a ball at them at 100 mph so they better be concentrating ... I checked it out online and I now chew gum daily ... I do feel calmer and more focused 😊

Midnight.Panda

Midnight.Panda

Thank you, I’ll definitely try this out! Hope everyone has had a good day today