• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Back to ask one last question

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Hey all

I've googled this quite a bit but never really found the answer I was looking for, so I thought i'd ask the lovely people on mental health forum.net

I was prescribed 20mg citalopram (weeks dose to start with to trial) and although i know theres sometimes side effects i was just wondering if it felt normal to not know what your feeling?

the main side effects ive had is (lethargy - really tired) aching my head feels kind of fuzzy but it's the feeling one thats playing with my mind... I dunno what Im feeling before I would be feeling down / sad or anxious now I don't feel anything like i feel like I want to be sad but I cant :S its payday for me today and im usually really happy but I don't feel happy I just feel nothing also when I try to think about things e.g. memories or thoughts of doing stuff... i struggle they dont come as easy... for example when I use to think about ending my life it would give me a sense of relief.......... now I struggle to hink about it and when I do I just think .......... oh ... nothing more... which is good but when i try and think of good things that have happened I struggle and when I do they dont really make me smile.. its just oh yeah that happened. I also feel like its dulled my fight or flight... so like yeasterday I was playing football and somone had a go at me and usually my muscles would sort of tense up my breathing would change and id get this strange sensation (you know when adrenaline) kicks in and yeasterday I was just meh.............. I feel like it's turned me from being hypersensitive ... into not being able to really feel anything - anyone else have any experience of this plz? xxx

Jimny

Jimny

Hi mate, from what I remember of citalopram initially it gave a bit of a fuzzy head over a week so I think that's quite normal when starting AD.
It's going to take a little while to start working, I found it to keep me on an even keel so to speak with no highs and no extreme lows I think it's designed to cut the peaks and troughs. I hope that helps, I can only speak of my experience.
The lows I was used to, the extreme highs got me in trouble.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Keep taking it!! If you must stop discuss with your gp please x

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Hi mate, from what I remember of citalopram initially it gave a bit of a fuzzy head over a week so I think that's quite normal when starting AD.
It's going to take a little while to start working, I found it to keep me on an even keel so to speak with no highs and no extreme lows I think it's designed to cut the peaks and troughs. I hope that helps, I can only speak of my experience.
The lows I was used to, the extreme highs got me in trouble.

Hi mate

No highs! - that's a bit boring!! :( I didn't have many before but ... that is quite depressing

SarahD

SarahD

For anxiety it is supposed to work quite quickly (not sure how quick), for depression it takes about 4 weeks, can be up to 8 weeks.

If the side effects aren't too bad I would give it longer than two weeks. The initial side effects usually settle down quite soon.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm gonna take it for 2 weeks and see if I feel any different - and if I don't ill just stop and bin em! x
Youre never going to listen to me are you??

Yes I found anxiety fixed well with it!! As I come off I have to take separate pills for that now

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MYTIMEHASCOME

I feel like a dog that has been neutered x

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Youre never going to listen to me are you??

Yes I found anxiety fixed well with it!! As I come off I have to take separate pills for that now
Nope! :) From what i read it also causes loss of libido, and all sorts of other downstairs problems :/

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You got the i mportant bit, the Cocktail sausage ;)