Back in the Olden Days, they used SSRIs!

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I have little doubt the above will one day be taught to medical students, much like we marvel nowdays at the routine use of lobotomy.

Few people know these meds carry a significant risk of Increased Mental Illness including Suicidality.

SSRIs might be the Best Treatment Weve Got Currently, but they still aren't really good enough, are actually killing people, and the rate and alacrity with which they are prescribed Really Makes Me Wonder Why.

I know i was first given them without even 60 seconds discussion regarding my general lifestyle or self care; no doctor has ever asked me this in all these years.

None ever tested my Vitamin D levels either, which is increasingly being linked to Mental Illness.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

puts a new cast to the Psychiatrists protests doesn't it.

Perhaps they get a lot of flak from other medicos, because other medicos are the ones who scrape up the Failed Suicide Attempts.

:(

I've noticed a pattern even on MHF of new and suicidal really unwell people joining in desperation because they're already on a Cocktail that would fell an elephant and their suicidality is soaring.

I can only imagine what your average ER doctor thinks. What meds are you taking? Oh, right. :nod2:

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
puts a new cast to the Psychiatrists protests doesn't it.

Perhaps they get a lot of flak from other medicos, because other medicos are the ones who scrape up the suicide attempts.

:(
i think that the entire paradigm around mental health is wrong, But it won't fundamentally change until there is a fundamental shift within the entire socio-economic & wider cultural system - i estimate that may start in a more concrete way in about 2 decades from now. Keep your eye on the 2040's.

M

mal blue moon

Ssri's are not the panacea that the drug companies hailed upon there inception ,and they are not effective or suitable for everbody especially the younger patient ,I found them helpful ,as for side effects suicide unfortunatly is part of MH and may not be atributed to any meds ,but there is evidence people are at risk when they start to feel slightly better in mood , but now have the energy to act on prevous suicide ideations ,as a firstline treatment they have some merit ,but the never became the sunshine meds ,.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Ssri's are not the panacea that the drug companies hailed upon there inception ,and they are not effective or suitable for everbody especially the younger patient ,I found them helpful ,as for side effects suicide unfortunatly is part of MH and may not be atributed to any meds ,but there is evidence people are at risk when the start to feel slightly better in mood , but now have the energy to act on prevous suicide ideation ,as a firstline treatment they have some merit ,but the never became the sunshine meds ,.
unfortunately statistics prove otherwise. The link is well known proven and documented and the drug companies were forced to put the warnings in the pamphlets because of it.

If you open a pack of any SSRI anywhere in the world, the warning is included, not only included, its in BOLD text, by law.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

i think that the entire paradigm around mental health is wrong, But it won't fundamentally change until there is a fundamental shift within the entire socio-economic & wider cultural system - i estimate that may start in a more concrete way in about 2 decades from now. Keep your eye on the 2040's.
I think it will start sooner than that, already we've had some high profile mentally ill murders down here. The acceleration of technology is bringing with it an Acceleration of Mental Illnesses.

All it takes is say, Barron Trump, to inexplicably lose it and start hearing voices, suddenly it will become the Mission of the Year.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

I think it will start sooner than that, already we've had some high profile mentally ill murders down here. The acceleration of technology is bringing with it an Acceleration of Mental Illnesses.

All it takes is say, Barron Trump, to inexplicably lose it and start hearing voices, suddenly it will become the Mission of the Year.
barron trump u mean ginger **** or a relie of his.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

barron trump u mean ginger **** or a relie of his.
pmsl yeah

some spawn of a world leader, losing it, suddenly it will become the Disease of the Year...

God knows how the kids of the rich and famous really grow up, all those nannies, all that parental neglect. Look at the Brangelina kids, walking therapy if ever Ive seen them. :(

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
https://davidhealy.org/psychiatry-gone-astray/

"Myth 1: Your disease is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain

Most patients are told this but it is completely wrong. We have no idea about which interplay of psychosocial conditions, biochemical processes, receptors and neural pathways that lead to mental disorders and the theories that patients with depression lack serotonin and that patients with schizophrenia have too much dopamine have long been refuted. The truth is just the opposite. There is no chemical imbalance to begin with, but when treating mental illness with drugs, we create a chemical imbalance, an artificial condition that the brain tries to counteract.

This means that you get worse when you try to stop the medication. An alcoholic also gets worse when there is no more alcohol but this doesn’t mean that he lacked alcohol in the brain when he started drinking.

The vast majority of doctors harm their patients further by telling them that the withdrawal symptoms mean that they are still sick and still need the mediciation. In this way, the doctors turn people into chronic patients, including those who would have been fine even without any treatment at all. This is one of the main reasons that the number of patients with mental disorders is increasing, and that the number of patients who never come back into the labour market also increases. This is largely due to the drugs and not the disease."

Rest in Link.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Psychiatrist to Niece yesterday: I could load you up on more meds but they wont change anything.

Yes, an Honest Psychiatrist.

:D