• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Awful social skills

P

Pipit

Just now at a gathering I picked something up which I believed was mine, the guy was understandable annoyed. A few minutes later someone else did the same thing but knew how to confidently joke about it and it worked so well for her. After I did the normal thing in withdrawing then quietly slipping away early.
In trying to be confident it can so easily lead to becoming out of one's depth.

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
Just now at a gathering I picked something up which I believed was mine, the guy was understandable annoyed. A few minutes later someone else did the same thing but knew how to confidently joke about it and it worked so well for her. After I did the normal thing in withdrawing then quietly slipping away early.
In trying to be confident it can so easily lead to becoming out of one's depth.
Social skills take time and practice. I think we all become more confident the older we get so don't worry, you will get better.

Happy New Year :)

G

GuyCoping

No need to worry. I have Schizoid Personality Disorder. I admit my social skills are atrocious. Yet, I have never had the desire to work on them. I guess it all makes sense lol.

If you really want to work on your social skills, then you can improve them. It depends on if this is truly your goal or not. Also, it may just be you putting too much pressure on yourself. You may only be thinking your social skills are not good. Could be some different factors at work here.