• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Awareness of Silence

Kerome

Kerome

I wanted to discuss a certain set of experiences I've had over the last few weeks. I've been experimenting with the boundaries of feeling and hearing and thinking, basically looking within myself and experiencing with attention what I feel. I began by moving my attention around inside myself, focussing on the feet for instance. I found some areas of the body are experientially complex, like the head, and other areas are simple, like the thighs and shins.

But I also found certain sources of noise, like a gravelly sensation on the tip of the tongue, and fluctuations in noise in areas like the feet or the skin of the thighs. And these seem to have certain patterns, like something that travels from one area to another, rapidly, like a little shock or a sound wave. It's almost like speech. After a while I noticed I could feel the same noise on the tip of my tongue and hear it in my ears. It led to a period of quite intense tinnitus for a week or so, which slowly disappeared.

This also led to a newfound appreciation of silence. I'm aware that even when I am experiencing noise in some areas of my senses, I'm also experiencing silence, for example around my face, the top of my forehead and in my hands and parts of the back of my head. And in a way, this new feeling of silence seems to have a special quality, a cool smoothness which I associate with grace.

Currently my inner world has periods of noise, often in the late afternoon, and periods of quiet, often in the morning. I wonder whether anyone else has attempted to examine their inner world in a similar way.

J

jimindigo

Yeah,I found that silence is one of best ways to get to know one's self.
Scary at first,discarding all distractions,but you get used to it.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I haven't examined or really dedicated time to observing these things about myself, but I certainly do notice inner-noise at particular times of day.
Interesting.
The 'new feeling of silence' sounds lovely though - and great that you're finding it peaceful.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i don't have a TV & don't listen to the radio, also watch very little these days on-line. i do plonk away at the compoota keyboard a lot.

i sit in silence a lot, always have a candle or few light. i enjoy the peace & quiet.

i also practise a basic mindfulness - although i think a more formal, but gentle meditation practice may be good to try.

i've been also practising the basics of inner relationship focusing.