• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

AvPD

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive recently been diagnosed with AvPD (avoidance personality disorder) . Before it had been put down to social anxiety/phobia, but now they think its a bit more deep rooted as some times i am completly housebound and too scared to go outside. It came to a head when i said about going to a small family wedding and i couldnt face going. Then it all spilled out how i seemed to be scared of virtually everything.

I queried if CBT would help and was told no but it does help social phobia. Apparantly in nearly all cases of AvPD there is childhood trauma so im now on the waiting list for psychotherapy, (prob a three year wait) :) I did start psychotherapy a couple of years ago but they said i was too 'fragile' to continue.

The main problem im having tho is cos im also bipolar and fortunatly my manic phases have not been too bad (mainly spending and becoming very bossy and argumentative) and they say this is due to having AvPD. So im worried if the therapy eases the AvPD then the bipolar highs will get worse, cos the lows are bad enough.

I dont know if anyone else on here has been diagnosed but would love to hear from them.

Soz its been such a long post.

daf

D

Dollit

Daffy if the medics are aware that the highs in your bipolar are being tempered by the AvPD then they will work with that and highs in my experience are more treatable than lows. I think a three year wait is horrendous - can they not give you a place to start off by yourself rather than leave you in limbo for such a long time?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi dollit . sorry i was just being sarcastic about the 3 year wait. Even that is excessive, but it could still take between 6-12 months. Ive suffered for decades with it so i spose a few more months wait wont do any harm:tea:

D

Dollit

Well I was half asleep when I read it! I still think 6 months is too long to wait. It's bad enough being expected to be happy about being treated like second class citizens without noses being rubbed in it every time we need treatment. Mental Health problems just aren't sexy enough. :mad:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The last time i had psychotherapy and they stopped it cos they were concerned about the effect it was having on me, but they said i could be fast tracked when i felt better. In my area tho theres a very long waiting list for treatment and even if they push it, it will be several months.

D

Dollit

The people who run MH services don't seem to realise that some of our conditions are potentially terminal do they?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I dont think theyve any idea how life restricting MH an be. I bumped into a friend i made a few years ago at the hospital yesterday and weve kept on saying we would meet up for the last few months and 6 months have gone past now. I told her about the AvPD and she said that she was coming round to mine after she finished work, she only works part time. So i cant make any excuses as shell be here for lunch.

Hopefully this will give me the incentive i need. I was supposed to be starting a jewellrey course last week but i bottled it at the last minute and im so angry with myself, cos im sure its something i would have enjoyed:)

D

Dollit

Don't be angry at yourself Daffy - don't you think that the fact that you tried to do something is worth support and praise? You keep on trying and I really do think that's something to be proud of. Lesser people would have given up long ago. :hug:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Thanks Doll, Ill keep looking up local classes. I might see if i can find one on local history cos that facinates me. But whether or not i get there is a different matter:D

D

Dollit

That might be a good choice Daffy because at least with that if you don't make the class you can still look into the history of the area and you still have something interesting to do.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive done it again. My friend phoned me last week and invited me to a dance she was going to. She said she wouldnt leave me on my own (she knows of my problems) and would make sure i was introduced around.

I got in quite a panic about this. I really wanted to go but knew i couldnt face it. She said she would come and collect me as well. But the thought of being in a room full of strangers just terrified me.

She is a good friend and i know she wont turn her back on me like some 'friends' have done, but i would love to know if anyone has conquered this avoidance issue.

D

Dollit

Daffy - I think that if you're going to have a chance with conquering this then I think you have to choose what you want to do. Think of the one thing that you would like to do the most - your local history or jewellery making for example - and then aim for that one thing. The dance would be good fun but if you're hearts not in it then it's not going to be fun and you'd be less likely to try again. :hug:

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Daffy, I can really sympathise with your situation as I've had similar problems for many years. Recognising that this behaviour is self limiting sometimes provides us with the courage to try to change and prompts us to be more involved in a life outside our self imposed prison. Baby steps are usually best at first but the sense of achievement when we interact with others outside our comfort zone is such a boost to our morale that we push the barriers even further. Good luck in any venture you try, its hard going but it'll be worth it.:flowers:

M

ManFea

AvPD Link

Hi Daffy

I Trust you are well :)

I too have been diagnosed with Social Phobia, personality disorder and Depression. However after coming across AvPB i belive that this is proberbly the correct diaganosis for myself. I have actually just joined this forum to find out more about AvPB however i have already come across another detailed site at http://www.tljones.co.uk/apd/apd.htm that you may find of interest.

Manfea