• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Avoidant Personality // Career Success

A

alma18

I was wondering if anyone with avoidant personality has had any success with their careers? more specifically in a healthcare career that is patient facing?

or any other face to face role

how did you do it?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Nothing ventured nothing gained?

We have to push ourselves a little bit sometimes, test how we will cope, but only a little bit

M

MHFPokeplantz

I have this same question

Nothing ventured nothing gained?

We have to push ourselves a little bit sometimes, test how we will cope, but only a little
The problem is that depeding on the degree of the disorder the "little bit" is not enough for daily basis. Thats the deal of the question (since pushing too hard wont help either in long run)

Argon

Argon

I managed to get a job managing a cafe in a psych hospital. I started out as a patient who got railroaded into being locked up there for 2 years and since I was normal compared to the patents they had me work in the cafe because they needed good help. Eventually I became the manager after I was discharged.

M

MHFPokeplantz

I managed to get a job managing a cafe in a psych hospital. I started out as a patient who got railroaded into being locked up there for 2 years and since I was normal compared to the patents they had me work in the cafe because they needed good help. Eventually I became the manager after I was discharged.
Omg
How old you were when patient?

M

MHFPokeplantz

I was 30. 32 when I was discharged and became an official employee. 37 when I got the promotion to manager.
Interesting, a great opportunity to get life going and get independent
(I myself wouldnt manage to keep such job for so long duo to my comorbities :(:(:( too unstable for it)

Argon

Argon

Interesting, a great opportunity to get life going and get independent
(I myself wouldnt manage to keep such job for so long duo to my comorbities :(:(:( too unstable for it)
The saying here is turn a lemon into lemonade.