Avoid the word "disorder"

C

CeeJay1981

I prefer to think of Social Anxiety and Social Confidence as a spectrum. The the lower extreme (where I once was) you are totally uncomfortable around people and avoid others at all costs. At the other end you are brimming with positive energy and can't get enough of yourself and other people.

Everyone is living somewhere in this spectrum and it goes up and down depending on the environments they put themselves in. Some people get stuck somewhere in this spectrum and would do well to find some outside help.

So, the reason I don't like the word disorder is because it tries to make bad a part of the whole. It would be like saying of the rainbow "Well, Red, Orange and Yellow are OK but if you get Violet then there is something wrong with you"

Just a thought

Take it easy guys

Chris

A

Apotheosis

I agree - I would say that all mental health labels are part of a spectrum or continuum.

Last edited:
G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
Ah.....that's a positive way to look at it. Thanks CeeJay1981 and Apo. :flowers:

tH@l35

[email protected]

Without sounding negative, I must admit that I was extremely relieved when I came across the term 'social anxiety disorder' because it made me feel that I wasn't alone and it gave me hope in finding a solution. I have suffered (literally) the syptoms of anxiety disorder since I was 10/11, and until a few months ago (I am now 20) I just thought I was 'weird' which made me even more depressed and hopeless, but by chance I was reading an article on anxiety and came across the term. I can honestly say that I am able to rest a lot easier in knowing exactly what I suffer from regardless of the stigma sometimes attatched to the word 'disorder'.

S

starfish

dolores

i was very shy as a child and teenager, and did not learn any social skills.i agree that there is a spectrum that everyone falls within,however when social anxiety completey wrecks your life, having a disorder can be quite comforting.when you reach rock bottom the only way is up.:love:

S

sallyv

Yes even I don't like the word disorder is because it tries to make bad a part of the whole.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
daydreamsandicecreams Social Anxiety Forum 1