Autism traits increase thoughts of suicide in people with psychosis

F

firemonkee57

Posted by Eureka alert December 14 2017.

People with autism traits who have psychosis are at a greater risk of depression and thoughts of suicide, new research has found.

The research, led by Professor Stephen Wood at Orygen, the National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health, showed that, among people with psychosis, depressive symptoms and thoughts of self-harm were not because of the psychosis, but instead were linked to the level of autism traits a person had.
Autism traits increase thoughts of suicide in people with psychosis | EurekAlert! Science News

This makes some sense to me. I was quite suicidal when younger. I also self harmed. Now I guess I have some signs of mild depression ie hopelessness and worthlessness.

Prairie Sky

Prairie Sky

I have no idea if I'm on the spectrum or if it's bipolar/migraine/personality related, but I can definitely identify with the sensory overload of autism disorders. It causes me to retreat and shut down, isolate from others and definitely contributes to depression. Could that be a link?

F

firemonkee57

I guess it could be a link.

B

BornAStar

I have some autism traits (psychosis too,obviously) and I tried to commit suicide twice in my life.

B

BornAStar

Also,I'm transgender so dysphoria was one of the reasons.