• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Autism/Aspergers Spectrum

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I'm wondering if someone can have this/these disorders and have an above average IQ, and never be diagnosed? :confused: If that makes any sense.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Am I the reason then, that my daughters are like they are? Is it pure DNA and nothing to do with environment?
I know, that's a broad speculation, but...

A

Apotheosis

Am I the reason then, that my daughters are like they are? Is it pure DNA and nothing to do with environment?
I know, that's a broad speculation, but...
I used to be obsessed with the question of 'Who am I?', it is a central question that still interests me - the mystery of consciousness. How much of my personality/identity & who I am, is genetic? Biological? Nurture, environment, other influences? etc etc etc.

The nature/nurture debate carries on.

What I think is rational is to see things are part of a spectrum or complex - that there is no single dominant influencing factor. We are altered & formed by environment, genetic, social, inter-personal relations, individual choices, diet & substances, individual experiences & make up - a plethora of factors.

None of this is fixed either - Scientists realise & are exploring the processes of genetic mutation; due to other influencing factors - we are inter dependant beings that are symbiotic [inter related/dependant/influenced by] everything within the environment. Take a flower, a plant - it's existence & life is dependant on it's environment, it can't be separated from such things & still be what it is - it can't survive without these things; it's life is as much the soil - the earth, the sky, the atmosphere, the sun, & to a degree; on one level the Universe. We are no different.

Is basic self aware consciousness the same? The part of me that says 'I am' - taking away individual differences - is that basic/base essence or awareness the same in all individuals? it is a very interesting question. & returns to this question of identity & the question 'who am I?' Where does the individual 'I am' originate? I like the esoteric & spiritual angles to this stuff, that seems to personally satisfy more of an answer to me.

We are living in a scientific age that does relegate us to something akin to complex organic machines - is that what we are? At the mercy of genetics & environment?

You say 'Am I the reason then, that my daughters are like they are?' - Then without sounding elaborate - Who is the 'I am'? Would it not be more of a case that evolutionary processes, & biological drives are more the reason that they are like they are? & depending on perspectives - other criteria that are not anything to do with individual choice or control?

In my view it's society & social structures that make things so hard for people that are 'different' - because we live in a very uncivilised age - where there is unwritten code to conform to the norm, albeit; ironically & paradoxically the 'norm' itself is pseudo sanity & deeply pathological.

In a truly civilised & advanced society - such differences would be fully accommodated, embraced, celebrated & fully & comprehensively supported - not controlled, socially excluded, ostracised, drugged, attacked with crude medical practices to force normality & conformity; as is the present norm.

Don't blame yourself in any way - it isn't your fault. Far from it.

A

Apotheosis

As for psychiatric diagnostic labels - I don't put much stock in them. Ever since I read an article on someone suffering schizophrenia; many years ago, over 26 years ago, & long before I was diagnosed, I have been trying to figure out what this 'condition' is - I am probably no closer to any real answer than I was then. & certainly the medical perspectives are not much help on shedding much light on it all either.

I can relate to aspects of a lot of psychiatric symptomatology of various labels & conditions. My diagnosis is paranoid schizophrenia, but I can relate as much to Bi Polar, & severe depression (with psychotic features), & with PTSD I tick all the boxes, & other various anxiety disorders. It doesn't satisfy an answer to my mind.

I don't; & will never agree that psychiatric conditions are primarily biological states. They are to my understanding part of the complex of human experience (at an extreme end of one side of the scale or spectrum) - & I don't see the value of pathologising them. I don't see that there is a definite cut off between sane & insane. Between apparent supposed biological conditions that are disordered & the norms.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I appreciate everything you wrote above, Apo. :)
I think I need to try and be more objective with regards to my children's problems. I get too emotional and guilt-ridden, and that's a one way ticket for me down the toilet so to speak.
I could look at it this way; they are both getting the best possible care and guidance there is to be found here in Holland.

A

Apotheosis

I get too emotional and guilt-ridden, and that's a one way ticket for me down the toilet so to speak.
Quite normal for parents to feel that way, & blame themselves.

I could look at it this way; they are both getting the best possible care and guidance there is to be found here in Holland.
That is good :)

P

propane

I'm propably asperger, at least most of the asperger tests will give very high results. I have no need to get myself diagnosed by professionals.

I think asperger is quite real, at least very much more based on reality than schizophrenia.
It's simply an evolved (and it's hereditary) different brain neurology than what most of the people have.

Last edited:
trombone_babe

trombone_babe

My elder son is Asperger's and was diagnosed at 3, he had a brilliant education at a special unit for 4 years which enabled him to integrate back into mainstream. Now at 21 you would never know he's Asperger's, he's a bright, sociable lad that everyone seems to love. Now I had a strange upbringing and I suspect that there may have been Asperger's in my family and for years I blamed myself, but at the end of the day you need to focus on what's best for the child. He has also inherited my tendency to depression and several other conditions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Mental Health Experiences 6