August 13, 2018 Interviews with 100 CBT-therapists reveal 43 per cent of clients experience unwanted side-effects from therapy

F

firemonkee57

August 13, 2018 Interviews with 100 CBT-therapists reveal 43 per cent of clients experience unwanted side-effects from therapy

By Christian Jarrett Aug 13 2018

The structured nature of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy/CBT and its clearly defined principles (based on the links between thoughts, feelings and behaviours) make it relatively easy to train practitioners, to ensure standardised delivery and to measure outcomes. Consequently, CBT has revolutionised mental health care, allowing psychologists to alchemize therapy from an art into a science. For many mental health conditions, there is now considerable evidence that CBT is as, or more, effective than drug treatments. Yet, just like any form of psychotherapy, CBT is not without the risk of unwanted adverse effects.

Interviews with 100 CBT-therapists reveal 43 per cent of clients experience unwanted side-effects from therapy – Research Digest

So CBT has side effects contrary to what dishonest/unintelligent CBT practitioners push.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi firemonkee, the use of the term "side effects" bothers me a little. When they describe a patient having shame or guilt, this is something that was hidden inside the patient and came out due to the therapy. The regurgitation of repressed feelings is a necessary function, not a "side effect", I would think.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
that therapist in brum called it cbt long before cbt became the in thing, did it help in the long run encouraging me to come to london and look for work with a schitzoprenia diagnosis that at the time was seen as unfitness for work, the jurys out

i think telling people to be positive go getting is all very well but with a schitzoprenia diagnosis the world isn't like that, neither is the on drug better a seriously fit for work one when you need to be firing on all cylinders

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Hi firemonkee, the use of the term "side effects" bothers me a little. When they describe a patient having shame or guilt, this is something that was hidden inside the patient and came out due to the therapy. The regurgitation of repressed feelings is a necessary function, not a "side effect", I would think.
therapists make you feel shame and guilt at not meeting societys and the therapists which can be the same thing,expectations