• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Atos win PIP medical contracts to move people off DLA

N

Nigel1971

In a surprising, and for many Benefits and Work members deeply dismaying, decision the DWP have announced this afternoon that Atos have won the biggest share of the contracts for carrying out personal independence payment (PIP) medicals. A smaller share has gone to Capita.

PIP is due to begin replacing disability living allowance (DLA) for working age claimants from April next year, with all current working age DLA claimants having to be reassessed for the new benefit. The contracts for PIP medicals are worth up to a billion pounds in total and have attracted the attention of many multinational companies.

Atos have won Lot 1 and Lot 3 in the bidding for the contracts.* Lot 1 covers Scotland, NE England, NW England & Isle of Man while Lot 3 covers London and South England.* Capita have won Lot 2, which covers Wales and Central England.

Lot 4 which covers Northern Ireland has not yet been awarded and Lot 5 is also up for grabs, but the DWP have said they do not intend to use Lot 5 unless things go wrong with regional suppliers.

Atos are deeply unpopular with many claimants and disability organisations due to their methods of assessing claimants for employment and support allowance.* On Monday of this week, the company was the subject of a Panorama documentary and a Dispatches documentary looking at alleged failings in the way they carry out the work capability assessment.

Capita, which runs the Criminal Records Bureau on behalf of the Home Office and is invariably* referred to as ‘Crapita’ by Private Eye, has no history of carrying out medical assessments for state benefits.* The company has been involved in* a number of less than successful public service contracts in the past, however, including Individual Learning Accounts which were subject to* fraudulent claims on an unprecedented scale and which were shut down after just one year.

Amongst the unsuccessful bidders for the contracts so far awarded are G4S who are still reeling from the Olympics security fiasco, Serco, Avanta, Ingeus Deloitte, APM UK, Reed In Partnership and Vertex.

This makes me sick grrrrrrr :mad:

Y

YourAverageJoe

Well that's what the English get for voting the Tories in

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Atos healthcare schizophrenia Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Artmuzz Contacting atos problem Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
D ATOS Assessment today - only lasted 20-25 minutes - worried!! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
F Esa Atos assessment at home! and self-harm question Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Nikita 2017 Scandal of PIP assessments by Atos and Capita!!!! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
T Atos home visit, my husband has severe mental health problems Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 21
E ATOS WCA people Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
DoctorInternet2 PIP claim and Atos interview. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
J Had a nightmare PIP assessment with ATOS. Whats my chances? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
Artmuzz Question about ATOS Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
Artmuzz ATOS questionnaire - worried sick Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
S Rotten To The Core US Firm Replaces ATOS Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
S Proving Illness to DWP?ATOS Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
S ATOS Forms Arrived Again Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
shaky MAXIMUS - the replacement for ATOS - are even worse Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
P My ATOS journey.... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
fate_w_g Atos have my PIP application Form Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
Lemonade I haven't filled out any ESA forms, but Atos have given me an appointment for assessment? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 19
J Comparing ATOS to the Nazis Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 30
Run Like Hell ATOS - national demonstration day Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 55
I Today we WON the tribunal against ATOS and DWP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
I What Happened To The Atos Victims' Group Web Site? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
J Have an ATOS medical coming up, and scared sh!tless! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 35
R atos medical so worried. please help. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
mapletree Failed WCA overturned by writing to ATOS Customer Relations Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
B My doctor told atos I need an assessment ay home ...practical questions Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
Y ESA50 for complete. Atos don't want to see me? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
R Changing the Work Capability Assessment by Atos Petition Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
mami5 ATOS!!!! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
cloudberry The ATOS form has finally arrived Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
A Atos sneaky trap Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
R Parliamentary Debate on Mental Health - Comments on ATOS Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
Lillyone Missed ATOS Medical Call. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
A Campaign to change Work Capability Assessment i.e. the ATOS assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
W My ATOS assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
D ATOS 0 points - revised decision ESA for a year Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
L ATOS medical scored 0 points, going to Tribunal Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
C Advice Needed Please Regarding ESA/ATOS Outcome Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Lillyone ATOS Medical Later On Today... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
moyet Trauma of ATOS interview Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
C Can atos and dwp Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
I ATOS medical coming up. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Run Like Hell My ATOS assessment experience Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
M Why would atos want to lie about length of examination? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
CastingShadows ATOS (Again) Basic Advice Needed please Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
yellows Atos medical assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 98
pepecat MPs criticise ATOS. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
I AlJazeera Wants Your ATOS Stories... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
R atos test first time mental health Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
A BLACK TRIANGLE CAMPAIGN - against ATOS assessments Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15