• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ATOS questionnaire - worried sick

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

I have been suffering anxiety and depression for over 10 years and in 2013 I was moved from Incapacity Benefit that I have been on since 2005 to ESA WRAG.

Just last week I recieved a questionnaire for me to fill in and in the letter it tells me I may have to get interviewed. I am totally terrified and I am getting panic attacks and sleepless nights with all this.

I have been experiencing the worst of my depression after my mum (who I am very close to) died from cancer. I really don't know what to do and I am scared I will lose my flat and be made homeless if ATOS decide I'm fit for work.

I have an appointment with my local welfare rights team to fill the questionnaire.

If I appeal or request a reconsideration will I still get housing benefit and council tax benefit.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

as long as you get ESA whether support or WRAG you will still get housing benefit xx
could you see your gp and ask for a letter of support as to why you are unfit for work?
i was placed in the WRAG a few years ago but then i sent a letter of support from my gp and i have been in support group ever since xx
try not to worry love from fairy lu xx

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

As I understand it, if you are found fit for work and then ask for a mandatory reconsideration and depending on the outcome of that do appeal, you will probably need to claim JSA, which would mean you would still get housing benefit and help with council tax if your local authority provides such a scheme.

If you already claim ESA, which I think you said you do, you should get an assessment rate (about the amount of JSA) if you ask for a mandatory reconsideration or appeal. You should still be able to claim housing benefit and help with council tax.

I would recommend getting support filling out the form, get a letter from any health professionals you can and send in evidence of appointments or assessments of your MH.

Do photocopy the completed form and any evidence you send. It is also worth getting proof of posting from the post office (this is free), so you have evidence of the date you posted it.

I have found the Benefits and Work guides useful.