ATOS Assessment today - only lasted 20-25 minutes - worried!!

D

davidbowie1996

Hey everyone. I'm new here (I made this account years ago but completely forgot about it, haha)

I'm 21 years old and over the past few years (Ever since I was 11) I have suffered extreme anxiety which lead to depression, which then in the past year lead to a fear of leaving my house and several suicide attempts. I have been hospitalised four times due to these suicide attempts and my medication is constantly changed/moved around to stop me from attempting it again.

In January I was thrown out of University because I stopped showing up. I was too afraid to leave the house without my boyfriend or mum there. So, that was when I applied for Personal Independence Payment and ESA. I had no other choice, I'm simply too unwell to work right now.

I'm currently still in the 'assessment' period of my ESA on the standard rate, however today I had my long awaited PIP assessment.

I sent off TONNES of medical records with my PIP claims form. These records contained information about my disorders (Diagnosed by psychiatrists and doctors) as well as discharge letters and letters about my admissions to hospital. I paid a lot of money to get such clear medical records as I was so desperate to be believed for once.

My boyfriend came into the assessment room with me and instantly I froze up because I just cannot deal with new people. I couldn't even look the man in the eyes (I'm not even sure of his name, it was such a blur) He spoke to me about how he'd seen 'a lot' from my medical records and only wanted to ask me a few questions. He asked when I'd been suspended from University, if I was on ESA, how I got to the assessment centre (Boyfriend drove as I can't go out alone) If I could drive a car (Answer was no) and the side effects and dosages of my medication. I pointed out that the current medication I have been switched to has caused me to have issues with my balance - I thought this would be VERY evident because I am currently limping around due to the fact I fell down some stairs due to the side effects of my meds. He didn't mention my limp, however. The last thing he asked me was if I had recently worked, I said I hadn't recently worked and in the past any job I did have I'd had to quit as I just couldn't get out of bed some days.

After this he said he had no more to ask me due to the fact he'd seen 'lots of evidence' in my medical records and he then claimed I 'should be ok' and went on to tell me that if they had any problems they'd send me a letter. He also added that Personal Independence Payment tends to get 'reviewed' every 2 years for people with mental health issues. I don't know why he said that, I haven't even found out if I've been awarded it yet.

Surely it isn't a good sign that the assessment was so short and he asked me so little? I'm really scared, I need this money to live.

Can anyone please offer me advice, I'd so appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

T

tomghanini2

Sounds like his mind was made up before you'd got there (having read all the information provide by you), and was just using the 'chat' to confirm his "yup you've passed" assessment.

Methinks you can relax... well as much as you can. :)

Last edited:
Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Most interviews are short, mine was I got awarded PIP. Try not to worry, I hope you get PIP and ESA. Welcome to the forum
Good luck and take care.

P

Pffft

Yes, I agree with everyone else :) Sounds like the assessor knows that you are a genuine claimant- and that is why he reassured you because he knows you are telling the truth
:hug:

D

davidbowie1996

Thank you so much everyone. I'll let you know how it goes when I eventually get my decision x