• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

At a loss - Not sure what else to try to help depression

H

heavystressor

So I've been suffering from mental health issues for a while and im sort of at a loss. I have a few issues that Im struggling with

1. I have pretty severe but varying depression and I was diagnosed with dysthymia. I often think of killing myself and how I would do it but I feel confident that I would never act on it. I had a bad episode a few months ago that prompted me to start therapy again. I can't say I've had a particularly difficult life and I struggle with the idea of being depressed because I feel like I have no reason to be depressed. I do this despite knowing that its an imbalance but I can't help it.
  2. I work in a creative industry and have little to no creative drive until im in the thick of a project that determines my livelihood. Independently, I am rarely artistically motivated which is something that has grown more problematic within the last few years. Overall I feel indifferent to almost everything. This leads to some pretty heavy self destructive thinking because I see colleagues becoming better and better as I remain stale.
  3. I have an incredibly hard time focusing. Even writing this, I'm thinking about a million other things. My mind feels like its in a haze and I constantly forget things. I have a hard time completing tasks and its fucking up my career, my relationship and life overall.
  4. Occasionally I tend to fixate on one thing - can go hours without drinking water, eating etc - psychiatrist described it as a manic episode but not sure I agree
I have tried so many things to try and deal with these issues so ill just go through what I've tried and maybe someone can recommend something.

Physical Activities

• Tried running in the mornings (stopped doing because of weather)
  • meditation (inconsistent on this)
  • yoga (inconsistent on this)
Lifestyle Changes

• improved sleeping habits (recently got worse)
  • Therapy bi weekly (last 4-5 months)
  • psychiatrist monthly (last 3 months)
  • Trying to learn a language (failing miserably)
Dietary Changes

• Mostly Vegetarian diet- only occasionally eating fish
  • Gluten free for celiac
  • way less drinking - used to be a few 6 packs a week. Now about one or two 6 packs a month
  • Improved eating overall - lost about 25lbs in a few months
  • Multivitamins
Medicinal approaches (self prescribed)

• Nootropics
  • Kratom
  • Mushrooms (this was the best performer but didnt try it long enough because I ran out)
Medicinal Approaches (psychiatrist prescribed)

• Buproprion XL (low dose then increased dosage - felt absolutely nothing)
  • Adderall ( was concerned about taking it regularly)
  • Pristiq (about 3 months in - not feeling very different)
  • Concerta 18mg ( few weeks in - same)
  • 15mg L-Methylfolate ( yeh nothin)
So these are all things I've tried over the last few years and I really haven't found anything that helps much or that I notice offers much improvement so I'm just frustrated. I'm not really sure what to do. I'm pretty tired of feeling like this and I really don't know whats wrong with me so just wondering if anyone out there could recommend anything or offer any suggestions. I appreciate any help.

Tawny

Tawny

Taking a break
There is a lot of acceptance that I have had to do. Medication. Lower expectations. Finding joy in small things. Accepting I may not be able to do all I want to do due to my mental disability.

Tawny

Tawny

Taking a break
You have not tried a basic ssri? Fluoxetine, Citalopram etc? They seem to be the starting point here in uk

H

heavystressor

You have not tried a basic ssri? Fluoxetine, Citalopram etc? They seem to be the starting point here in uk
I started on Bupropion/wellbutrin which is an SSRI. I was on it for about 4-5 months and felt absolutely no difference. Now I am on Pristiq which is an SNRI

sunset547544

sunset547544

Your symptoms sound a lot like mine, I hope you find something that helps soon.

sunset547544

sunset547544

What have you found that helps you?
Probably positive connections with other people is the best thing, but I know they can be hard to find. A long walk in the spring or autumn in a quiet place in nature is great. A good work out in the gym. Sitting in the church on my lunchbreaks in the peace. I don't take any prescribed medication. I get into terrible states of mind often but some days I feel pretty normal.