• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

assessments and care plans

R

riverofdragons

Everything I have read about mental health treatment (from people's experiences on here to leaflets written by the NHS or local mental health agencies) talks about care plans and assessments.

I don't have a care plan and I dont think I have ever had an assessment. I have been seeing my psychiatrist for 2 years this time around, but have been having various appointments with psychiatrists, doctors and psychologists for the past 10 years.

Other people seem to be consulted on their care, given crisis contact information, get copies of letters sent to their gp and even an actual piece of paper with their diagnosis on.

I don't know if i'm meant to be psychic or they are keeping it a secret from me....

what experience do other people have??

R

riverofdragons

Do most of you have care plans?

Have you had an assessment?

Do you get copies of information sent to your GP?

L

Lady Summer Isles

Hi
Yes I used to get a care plan if you could call it that. It wasn't much use. Not sure if my gp gets a copy of anything. I only occasionally get copies of letters sent out to me. I think they hide a lot of stuff. I've never been given a written dianosis though.
Lady T

angrydad

angrydad

Care Plan

My experience of the MHCT where I live now is a very positive one.

I have had a confirmed diagnosis. My case has been allocated to a social worker who co-ordinates my care plan. I was given "crisis care" information from the first time I met a MH Nurse. In the past three weeks I have been contacted by the crisis team (especially at week-ends) for a chat and to check if I'm OK. My GP has been sent copies of the plan and is contacted by the care co-ordinator.

I have found that everyone concerned with me has been more than willing to answer any questions I have about my care. I feel certain that if I was to ask for written information it would be given to me.

I am aware that there is some variation in care throughout the UK.

I also rember seeing something on the Royal College of Psychiatrists web site about what to expect from your care team.

I hope this is of some use.

oneday

oneday

Re care plans and assessments

Hi riverofdragons

Personally I’m not on a care plan and haven’t had an assessment as I’m receiving psychological support through primary care, i.e. my GP practice only – and I’m happy with this.

It’s my understanding that there are two types of ‘assessment’ that you might mean here: a ‘care assessment’ which is about the social care support you are entitled to, and a ‘mental health assessment’, which is about being assessed as to whether detention in hospital, or other crisis intervention such as seeing a home treatment team, is considered appropriate.

You ask whether everyone has seen their care plan – as an example, in two recent annual patient surveys that I have records of, carried out by our local mental health trust, only 30% of patients the first year, increasing to 38% the next, said they had been given or offered a copy of their care plan; and just 26% of people one year, and 40% the next, agreed with what was written in it. And just 44% of patients one year, and 50% the next, said they found their care plan helpful. Anyway, I guess my point is that your experience most likely isn't unusual.

Now, as far as I understand it, according to your rights under the Care Programme Approach, ALL patients receiving secondary care mental health services, should be given a copy of their care plan, and care plans cannot be imposed on you – they should be based on agreement (and if you disagree with something recommended, this should be noted on the care plan, and it should not be imposed on you).

Information/rights – To get proper information about your rights with regards assessment and care plans I’d suggest getting in touch with one or more of the following:

- Mind’s Legal Advice Service: 0845 225 9393, email: [email protected]
You can also find info about legal issues and your rights on Mind’s website: www.mind.org.uk Via Mind's website you can read, download or order their short booklets about mental health and your rights, e.g.
www.mind.org.uk/help/community_care/community-based_mental_health_and_social_care

www.mind.org.uk/help/rights_and_legislation/mind_rights_guide_6_community_care_and_aftercare This booklet includes info about the Care Programme Approach.

- A national helpline like the Mind Infoline might be helpful too (number also available at www.mind.org.uk), or Saneline, or Rethink’s national Advice Line (do a Google).

- The PALS (patients’ advice and liaison service) for your local NHS trust will have a helpline, and they should tell you about your rights - and/or see their website. You’ll find details of the PALS service via your local mental health trust’s website or through some other kind of Google search.

Advocacy - I'd also check about your local mental health advocacy service. Advocates are independent from the services and can support you, give you information and tell you about your rights, attend meetings with you, speak up for you if you're finding it difficult to speak up for yourself, etc. If you have difficulty in finding contact details for local advocacy services, the helplines above should be able to tell you.

:) Hope some of the above might be of help

Last edited:
oneday

oneday

Write your own care plan

Also had the idea that any of us can devise our own 'care plan' - plan out the various things we will do to look after ourselves.

There's various stuff around about recovery and wellbeing that you could look at, but this site/approach is one I know about and have had recommended to me, on the Mental Health Recovery website:

http://www.mentalhealthrecovery.com/aboutus.php

This gives you info about mental health recovery & the 'Wellness Recovery Action Plan' (WRAP) developed by Mary Ellen Copeland from the States.

Mary Ellen, as the site says, has “experienced years of mental health challenges and has achieved long-term wellness and stability using these [WRAP] strategies."

She's written several books, including ‘WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan)’, and 'The Depression Workbook’ - involving “a simple self-help system for identifying personal resources and then using those resources to stay well and help you when you feel badly… books also available as CDs, DVDs, and in online courses.” And you can find a lot of resources for free online.

“Her work has changed the basic tenets of mental health as she has spoken the truth that people with mental health issues can have hope, control over their lives, develop self-directed wellness plans, and recover, working toward meeting their own life dreams and goals. These strategies and skills are being used in the worldwide mental health transformation movement.”

dib4uk

dib4uk

I for one dont have a care plan a cpn, or a care manager or a care cordinator. I totally understand where your coming from, and for me it feels like i've been either let down by the system OR i'm not as bad as i think i am....

Every organisation that i've had contact with for different reasons last year asked me about my care plan, and after saying i dont have one, then i cant use their services.... It seems to me that if you have a care plan or a care codinator then theres alll these extra services you can participate in but if you dont have them then you cant.

I have a psychiatrist for my medication and other stuff related to depression and my cylcothymia= bipola and my personality disorder, and im on the waiting list for psychotherapy which is going to be in june this year yay cant wait, but i feel your pain and your confusion in all this....

I just wish i had something postive to add to your discussions.:eek: