Assessment today

F

firemonkee57

Anxiety levels are rising. Going through major doubts as to whether I'll meet the criteria. I certainly don't think I'm neurotypical , but am more doubtful about being on the spectrum.

Am second guessing why the pdoc put me forward for an assessment. Would it be par for the course for any patient where the subject of ASD is raised, or would the pdoc have to have some level of belief you are on the spectrum to put you forward for an assessment?

My sister sent an email on Sunday with her observations.

1) From age of 4 I became more quiet and withdrawn. She was told this by our parents. 2) I didn't seem able to engage in imaginary play and found it difficult to truly play as she and my brother did 3) I was much happier doing my own thing 4) I was physically awkward and quite clumsy 5) I

could be quite obsessive over certain things- like collecting baseball/ football cards even though I had no interest in playing the sport. 6) I had a difficult time reading the emotions ,feelings or reactions outside of those in the family. 7) I had no close friends in childhood and teenage years
I preferred to spend much of my time alone 9)As I grew to my teenage years I became more socially awkward and reclusive 10)When younger was quite obsessed with facts and figures 11)I was very insistent on always being right 12)When in a bad phase I had difficulty thinking of others and struggled with empathy 13) I was prone to serious rages 14)When I met my wife in hospital I stabilised more and more . 15)My wife ran the household something I've struggled to do without strong outside support 16)I was much calmer by this time but could not function without my wife organising my life 17) I suffer from extreme social anxiety 18)I have compassion and kindness but struggle with empathy at times. 19) I find it very difficult to multi task 20)

I remain academically smart but increasingly less socially able 21) I'm very intelligent.

calypso

calypso

Admin
What assessment is this Firemonkee? Some of what your sister wrote is normal for some children, but much of it isn't I guess. Have you ever had autism mentioned to you? That can alienate people from others and leave them socially anxious. I am just throwing it out there, not saying I think you are or anything. It just crossed my mind. I hope you don't mind me suggesting it as a possibility - but then again your psychiatrist would have thought of that no doubt and ruled it out. I'll shut up now!

F

firemonkee57

It was an ASD(Autism) assessment. I have 2 more assessments to do on the 27th and on the 13th March.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Hi firemonkee :)

Hope all goes well for you. I went through the assessments too. It is a three-stage assessment for ASD. I was diagnosed with ASD, and last year, ADHD as well. I have struggled since I was a child, and still do. It's most unfair, and much of how we are just left like this, is both soul-drstroying and criminal.

F

firemonkee57

Second assessment today.

Boy, was that hard. It's difficult answering whether you do x or y or not when it's just the way you are . That was why it was a good thing that my stepdaughter was there to say "Well actually...." or words to that effect.

Ironically I'm not sure the assessor was good at picking up on facial expressions. She said I looked happy when actually I wasn't feeling either particularly happy or sad. My stepdaughter said that was just my normal face and I'm really only animated when angry or stressed.

It was also difficult to tell if she was taking on board what I'd actually said or was filtering things through her interpretation of what I'd said . Appointment should have been 2 hours but was only an hour. That of course has got me second guessing as to why? Is it because they're coming to the conclusion I'm not on the spectrum? If so why the need for a 3rd appointment?

F

firemonkee57

Had 3rd assessment on Wednesday. There were lots of questions again. It was hard to answer in much detail due to my poor autobiographical memory. She's made a provisional booking for me to do the ADOS in May as she's not sure she can give an answer due to the lack of info about early childhood. She's going to go through what she has to see if she can without the ADOS being done