• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Assalum Malaykum

K

Khuu556

Hi everyone, another new member. The title above is a standard greeting in Urdu/Pakistani. I was recently sent home from the Air Force for an adjustment disorder, regrettably. I was training to be an Urdu linguist. I would like to discuss my situation further and wanted to receive some input. Hope to speak to you guys soon!

K

Khuu556

hiya, :welcome:

sorry you've had to leave the air force, is this temporary? hope you find the forum helpful
Unfortunately, my condition bars me from re-enlisting in any branch of the military:low:Thank you though.

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

Hi Khuu556

Perhaps if you felt able you could volunteer?

There are many charities who give legal advice or are supporting people who do not have English as their first language, who would find your ability to speak Urdu/Pakistani a great help. :hug1:

K

Khuu556

You're so kind...I was only in training for two months, and it was a year long course. So I don't assume to be fluent or anything.

I still want to learn any language I can, but I don't know of other ways besides college. I've always done well in school, but I don't want to go to college. Does that make me lazy?! I don't want to accumulate massive debt. I would just like to go out and travel for a while becuase there's nothing in my hometown. Get away and volunteer in some place, live another life. Sounds kind of idealistic and silly right? All my friends are gone to school so it's been pretty lonely..

Last edited:
Wiseowl

Wiseowl

I know some people who have volunteered for charities and worked abroad (with their living costs paid for) they have learnt the language by immersing themselves in the local area.

There are local community language courses (which are cheaper than university) normally run in partnership with the local council.

There are also lots of free language sites on the web where you can have virtual lessons.