• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

ASPD/Psychopathic Traits: How do you deal with symptoms?

S

SugarAndRainbows

Hi all! :D

I am diagnosed with ASPD and also have a lot of psychopathic traits. As come with the problem area I am also quite narcissistic. In this post I would like to know what my fellow ASPD'ers (preferably with psychopathic traits) do to control their symptoms. I am mostly interested in the boredom and also rages if you experience them, but feel free to give tips and tricks regarding the handling of any symptoms. Additionally, exclude all tips regarding drugs, criminal activity and the like, I am looking for ways to cope without killing my career. :)

I obviously have ways to cope but I am thinking there should be better ways to handle this. Especially the rages, I don't have a lot of tools in my toolbox for that.

This is a short summary of what I do now to control it.

Boredom
I used to do a lot of drugs, crimes, risky behaviour and just crazy shit like moving to countries where I don't even speak the language. Nowadays I mostly obsess over some "hobby" for a short while (woodworking, sports, languages and so on) and change workplace regularly. It keeps the edge of it at bay but I still get some panic-like attacks where I just want something to change, so additional tools here would be welcomed.

Rage
The rages are of the kind where I can't even form coherent sentences and I have to just focus on not doing anything at all so that I don't end my career. I want to hunt people and I am out for blood. In a social setting this is not much of a problem, but it is a problem in a work setting. I have to take sick-days because I can't trust myself to not scream and abuse people in meetings and such. Isolation and just focusing on not doing anything at all works pretty well, but I would like to be able to handle this better.

Any tips would be welcomed! Feel free to DM me if you have questions that you don't want to take out here in "public". :)

Ras

Ras

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi all! :D

I am diagnosed with ASPD and also have a lot of psychopathic traits. As come with the problem area I am also quite narcissistic. In this post I would like to know what my fellow ASPD'ers (preferably with psychopathic traits) do to control their symptoms. I am mostly interested in the boredom and also rages if you experience them, but feel free to give tips and tricks regarding the handling of any symptoms. Additionally, exclude all tips regarding drugs, criminal activity and the like, I am looking for ways to cope without killing my career. :)

I obviously have ways to cope but I am thinking there should be better ways to handle this. Especially the rages, I don't have a lot of tools in my toolbox for that.

This is a short summary of what I do now to control it.

Boredom
I used to do a lot of drugs, crimes, risky behaviour and just crazy shit like moving to countries where I don't even speak the language. Nowadays I mostly obsess over some "hobby" for a short while (woodworking, sports, languages and so on) and change workplace regularly. It keeps the edge of it at bay but I still get some panic-like attacks where I just want something to change, so additional tools here would be welcomed.

Rage
The rages are of the kind where I can't even form coherent sentences and I have to just focus on not doing anything at all so that I don't end my career. I want to hunt people and I am out for blood. In a social setting this is not much of a problem, but it is a problem in a work setting. I have to take sick-days because I can't trust myself to not scream and abuse people in meetings and such. Isolation and just focusing on not doing anything at all works pretty well, but I would like to be able to handle this better.

Any tips would be welcomed! Feel free to DM me if you have questions that you don't want to take out here in "public". :)
maybe take up boxing or something aye. Let your rage out and hopefully get rid of boredom at the same time

S

SugarAndRainbows

maybe take up boxing or something aye. Let your rage out and hopefully get rid of boredom at the same time
Never tried boxing but did a lot of martial arts. I do a lot of weightlifting now which helps me in several ways but one is to prevent my rages and another is to take the edge of my rages when it happens (heavy sets of 1-3 reps basically). In my "normal" training I go for 8-10 reps per sets so I modify it for the specific purpose of attacking my rages.
Everything gets boring after awhile but I am still a bit fascinated by martial arts. But the training is basically fighting without aggression which doesn't work for my purpose here unfortunately. On the other hand I never did compete and I guess that would be different from training. Professional boxing is illegal in my country (as in, you are not allowed to earn money doing it) but there are still "friendly" competitions I think.
Thanks for the tip, I might actually go for the competitive side of it! My kid is doing thaiboxing so I might join him at his gym. :)

Ras

Ras

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Never tried boxing but did a lot of martial arts. I do a lot of weightlifting now which helps me in several ways but one is to prevent my rages and another is to take the edge of my rages when it happens (heavy sets of 1-3 reps basically). In my "normal" training I go for 8-10 reps per sets so I modify it for the specific purpose of attacking my rages.
Everything gets boring after awhile but I am still a bit fascinated by martial arts. But the training is basically fighting without aggression which doesn't work for my purpose here unfortunately. On the other hand I never did compete and I guess that would be different from training. Professional boxing is illegal in my country (as in, you are not allowed to earn money doing it) but there are still "friendly" competitions I think.
Thanks for the tip, I might actually go for the competitive side of it! My kid is doing thaiboxing so I might join him at his gym. :)
boxing is good. Helps you get anger or rage out of your system instead of bottling it up. Even just punching a boxing bag over and over again can be good. martial arts sounds alright also, never done that before so i dont really know

T E_90

T E_90

Personally I haven't been diagnosed with these traits of yours ,
so I apologize if maybe I won't be of any help.

But on the other hand, I can understand anger, frustration and the desire to hunt and harm people, the rage, etc. I'm also experiencing it, I'm not even sure mine is the same thing.
If you like, I've already written a post about my problem and what I mean, in this same section
(maybe a few bits can help, although I'm not sure it's allowed, my post it's called 'Childhood bullying and murderous and violent thoughts').
I use to drink alcohol to distract, and it works for a while but then the anger comes back worse than before. There are days where I isolate myself feeling numb and I'm unable to do anything apart being angry and blaming everybody else around me.
Boxing can be a valid help to let off steam, if you can do that.
However I'm the first to not be able to give advice, I just wanted to contribute somehow.
I hope you will be able to find a way to cope and move forward as best you can. 👋

S

SugarAndRainbows

Personally I haven't been diagnosed with these traits of yours ,
so I apologize if maybe I won't be of any help.

But on the other hand, I can understand anger, frustration and the desire to hunt and harm people, the rage, etc. I'm also experiencing it, I'm not even sure mine is the same thing.
Well, even between people with the same diagnosis the experience can differ a lot due to being on different ends of the spectrum or comorbidity with other diagnosis so don’t worry about it. :)
I’ll check out your post for sure.

I use to drink alcohol to distract, and it works for a while but then the anger comes back worse than before. There are days where I isolate myself feeling numb and I'm unable to do anything apart being angry and blaming everybody else around me.
Yeah, did the whole drinks and drugs thing daily for a few years. More to address the boredom rather than the rages but not very effective in either case to be honest.

Boxing can be a valid help to let off steam, if you can do that
Yeah, boxing might not work where I live but I might pick up Muay Thai. I might give some kind of racing a shot instead though. Driving a bit on the edge is my cheap thrill, helps with the boredom, so I will probably try to do it off the main road.

Appreciate the help, there is no book or guide for this so we sort of have to write our own. For me, and probably most ASPD, the boredom is the worst symptom, there are minutes of relief when doing something crazy and then it’s back again. Getting some good ideas on stuff to do to attack this in a way that does not include hurting ourselves or others would be great. Not everyone can go fucking skydiving so we need alternatives, and the best source is other people with the same problems I think. :)
Again, thanks for sharing and helping :)

T E_90

T E_90

You're welcome, happy to help in some ways :)

I understand how frustrating being so bored can be, I'm also bored many times.
Even if in my case different reasons, it comes at the wrong, less opportune moments (while doing something important, or talking with somebody about serious things etc..). I've never been able to find something to do without leaving it halfway through, because it annoys me, irritates me... whatever, and I have to change.

The Muay Thai sounds cool! There's also yoga, (which I find hard to believe can be really suitable for those who need to vent anger, to me it was recommended and I'm very skeptical) but everyone is different, you never know.

I wish you the best and thanks again for your response regarding my problem. 👋