Asking the Doctor for help.

U

upanddown

Hi. I'm new so I hope this is in the right place...seemed like the most sensible place to put it.
Basically, I'm needing to head back to the doctors and ask for help for the billionth time as things are very bad at the moment and I need to get something fixed. I'm diagnosed with depression, but have gone through various doctors, meds and therapy sessions since I was a young teen which have not worked, and I am sure that there is something more than that (namely some level of Bipolar, due to manic episodes I sometimes have). I'm changing doctor and asking them for help, effectively as a last call.
As a writer I'm better at getting my message across through writing than structuring a conversation out of the fractured points I'll get out through speech. However I've written everything the doctor needs to know (ie everything which needs to be said on or off paper) and it's a few pages long, and I fear I'd look stupid if I went in with sheets of paper and asked her to read through it and comment along the way. I just feel that for me, it's the easiest and most efficient way of getting everything across without mumbling my way through some sort of explanation.

Has anyone else gone in with, effectively, a letter to their Doctor, and did they take you seriously? Any help would be accepted with huge gratitude! :unsure:

M

Maisy

Hi upanddown, and :welcome: to the forum.

I saw my new psychiatrist last Friday, and took in 4 sides of A4 plus a sheet I'd printed off the Internet!

She asked me to read my notes, and asked to keep them at the end.
You have very limited time with these people, and I think taking prepared notes is very effective.
I was given excellent advice, and am not sure the outcome would have been the same if I had just rambled on about whatever happened to be passing through my mind at that moment.

Take care. Maisy

M

Maisy

Also, it is obviously important you communicate exactly what happens during your high phases, otherwise they will only treat you for depression unless it is right in front of their eyes! Been there, done that, for a long time!

Maisy

Dita85

Dita85

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I think writing a letter is a good idea. I often have to write things down if I am too confused, frightened or upset to communicate effectively and my GP has always taken me seriously. I hope you get the help you need, come back and let us know how you got on.

R

Rose19602

I wrote three pages when I went to see my GP when things had taken a turn for the worse and I thought I needed some serious help.

He read it and kept it, and took it seriously.

The only thing I have found in retrospect is that they have taken every word of it to heart....and much was written whilst I was in the depths of depression and not thinking straight.

Tbh some of it I regret now that I have been through a year of therapy as I can see that my thinking at the time was warped by low self-esteem and self doubt. I think I made some symptoms seem quite terrible when they were really just transient.

So be careful what you write. Less is more and stick to facts and events rather than feelings and worries.

But in essence I think it helps to get your point across and helps the GP to reflect on what might be happening.

take care
x