Asking for my friend - fear of needles distressing her

Y939

Y939

ACCOUNT CLOSED
One of my best friends has a fear of needles, and she's needed a blood test for years. Every time she goes to get it done she panics, leaves, and goes home in tears. She had treatment for it three or four years ago which involved little clips that she was supposed to prick her fingers with, but she was too scared to do that. (She kept handing the clips to us and asking us to prick ourselves instead.) She's quite distressed because she feels ill and just wants a blood test. She asked me to mention it to my support worker, which I did, but my support worker just told me that the NHS doesn't really treat specific phobias like needles :)confused:), and said her daughter, also 28, was scared of needles too, and that her arm shakes when she gets a blood test. Seems there is nothing to do for this phobia except to, I guess, "suck it up and do it?" I really feel for my friend and want to help her. Trying to talk about something she loves hasn't worked to distract her. Diazepam didn't affect her. I guess maybe no one has advice, but I promised to ask anyway. Does anyone have ideas, experience, or know anyone who suffers with this phobia?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Sorry about your friend, can someone go with her to reassure her ?
I hope she can get over this phobia, pricking her finger isn't like having a blood test.
I've found the phlebotomists are the best at taking blood and reassuring patients.
I hate having blood tests.
Good luck to your friend
Take care

Y939

Y939

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Her dad always goes with her, but he gets annoyed when she leaves without getting it done. I don't think anyone would be able to reassure her, she's quite a Chatty Kathy so you'd think the best way to occupy her would be to get talking and laughing about something, but the fear is too strong, she closes down. I don't have any other ideas. I think the finger pricking was to teach her that the pain is only a pinch, but she's afraid of all pain. She once told me that it's the vein that freaks her out the most.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
She could try a different sedative if diazepam doesn't work for her.

Zardos

Zardos

Try more diazepam.. allot more.. much much more..
You can take a shitload of diazepam before its classed as an OD... gets me out of tough spots :(

N

Neverhappy

CBT would help and I totally understand her. Oddly im ok with stuff going in its drawing the blood out that cringes me out sooo bad. Only difference is, I can usually get it done.
I hate it though, even now im subconciously pulling my arm up to hide my inner elbow.
Agree with Diazepam. She needs enough that its making her tired. The yawns are a good sign. She would need someone to help though. I now wear earphones and play music because that fizzing noise of the little balls creeps me the fuck out.
And they are also told to not roll the tubes about writing my name on them. I dont wanna see that! Im so sad I even keep the round plaster on for about a week!