• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Asking for information and should i be concerned?

O

Orangefield02

Hello,
I am new to this forum and i would really appreciate some information and personal opinions from people who are more aware about eating disorders.
In the past few months i had noticed that my eating habits have changed and i am a bit nervous about it. My physical apperiance or weight were never really important to me, i have never been on a diet or taken supplements. My outlook on food until recently was more or less healthy. But in the last few weeks i noticed that my appetite changed without no reason. Or at least i am not aware about it. I can spend most of the day without eating and i even avoid eating. Not because i am afraid to gain weight, but just because eating feels somehow uncomfortable or i simply can not find food i would like to eat ( also i sometimes skip meals and go for a smoke instead ). But then in the evening or night time i suddently become very hungry and eat more than i normaly would. Everything that i can reach is fine and i usually end up feeling uncomfortably full or have eaten food that was supposted to be saved for guests or special ocassions. I also feel a bit ashamed afterwards.
I feel that i've lost weight too. I am not sure how much exactly, but clothes that were thight three months ago are now too wide and people started asking me if i've lost weight.
It also so happens that i have met people with diagnosed eating disorders in the past year and some of them became very important and close to me. I don't know if this is a coincidence or they have influenced me. Can it be so?
Also should i be concerned? How can i make sure that this behavior will not become an eating disorder? Or am i just imagining it and there is nothing to be worried about?

O

Orangeade

I seem to binge eat a lot at night. I wake up and want to eat everything in sight. I think this may be to do with my medication are you on any. Im not a professional, but do you think you have taken on the traits of your friends with eating disorders as you said you has quite a normal relationship towards food before you met them. This could obviously be 100% not true, but its just an observation. Is there maybe a nutritionalist who you could talk to? Sending you love and hoping you get the answers you seek

M

Mary26

So you're only comfortable eating at night? And the same foods that make you uncomfortable during the day are okay to eat at night? I would start looking at why. Are you too stressed during the day? Is it about not wanting to eat in front of other people? Are you punishing yourself in some way? Is it about numbing your emotions? How is it serving you?

J

jamraspberry

But then in the evening or night time i suddently become very hungry and eat more than i normaly would.
Same here.
Like even now, I am supposed to be eating dinner like everyone else but I am skipping this meal saying I am not hungry. I was fat-shamed earlier on, bullied really which put me off eating normally, I felt so self-conscious and I froze with anxiety, so I am starving myself *please do not do!*. But I am planning to eat dinner later when I have recovered from the anxiety attack.