• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ASD...how to get a diagnosis?

T

TimeOutForTina

My daughter is 20 and living at home with me. She’s struggled with her mental health and am now wondering if she is on the autistic spectrum.
Is there anyone who has been through this? If so, how does it work to get a diagnosis? Any advice, help appreciated x

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Hi, maybe if you haven't already, start with your GP. I was already in CMHT when I was diagnosed

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m sorry the only person i know with autism was diagnosed as a child. But you first step would be to see your gap have a talk with them and see if they think a referral is necessary . Then that would be in the hospital . But what is it that makes you think that your daughter is on the autistic spectrum. I’m sure it would have been picked up on when she was at school

T

TimeOutForTina

Hi, maybe if you haven't already, start with your GP. I was already in CMHT when I was diagnosed
Thanks, and yes we have today spoken with the Doctors office who are going to book her in.

T

TimeOutForTina

I’m sorry the only person i know with autism was diagnosed as a child. But you first step would be to see your gap have a talk with them and see if they think a referral is necessary . Then that would be in the hospital . But what is it that makes you think that your daughter is on the autistic spectrum. I’m sure it would have been picked up on when she was at school
With all due respect ASD if often NOT picked up in girls for some time, often in their 20’s.