As if the stigma isn’t bad enough...

K

Kelly B

O think my daughter lost friends because of being embarrassed and isolated herself from everyone. Also she had a very controlling boyfriend at the time. Another story.
The embarrassment is one of the hardest parts. It’s humiliating. I was lucky in that since we couldn’t get help for me in Kentucky, I moved home to Maryland where the only people that know are my family. Makes it much easier to walk down the street.

K

Kelly B

The embarrassment is one of the hardest parts. It’s humiliating. I was lucky in that since we couldn’t get help for me in Kentucky, I moved home to Maryland where the only people that know are my family. Makes it much easier to walk down the street.
I hope your daughter dumped the boyfriend.

L

LouiseMN

I hope your daughter dumped the boyfriend.
Yes she did, but she had a few more bad choices along the eay. She married a nice nerd 5 years ago and they are doing well.

Kelly, nice you can walk down the street but I don't know how the stigma will ever lessen if people don't know of all the mentally ill people out there hiding it well. Functioning. I think bipolar disorder is harder than depression. All my friends know I have depression but my daughter has kept her BP disorder private from her classmates and coworkers. She has just one close friend from back in high school, and another she used to work with.

K

Kelly B

Yes she did, but she had a few more bad choices along the eay. She married a nice nerd 5 years ago and they are doing well.

Kelly, nice you can walk down the street but I don't know how the stigma will ever lessen if people don't know of all the mentally ill people out there hiding it well. Functioning. I think bipolar disorder is harder than depression. All my friends know I have depression but my daughter has kept her BP disorder private from her classmates and coworkers. She has just one close friend from back in high school, and another she used to work with.
My one friend here who I don’t see that often was also a high school classmate. She knows and it doesn’t bother her. I only see her about three times a year so I can’t say we’re best buddies, but we have fun when we do. As far as telling everyone I have bipolar disorder...I don’t know about that. I feel like it might be like putting a target on my own head.

K

Kelly B

I really feel for your daughter and mine. I didn’t have to deal with this until my late 40’s. It’s tragic that someone so young should have this illness.

Hellakat

Hellakat

I totally agree but this is where change also can take shape. I use it as a tool to gain back my power and educate people on mental illness, bipolar especially. It took years for the right diagnosis, years to find the right medication to help stabilize me and the therapy is ongoing. So how I look at it, I’m refuse to let any type of media misrepresent mental illness especially in a negative light. We’ve come a long way. What once use to make me ashamed and embarrassed now makes me a empowered because I use it as a tool to teach the ignorant. Just food for thought.

L

LouiseMN

Yah for you, Kat! Society has come a long way and with more people like you the stigma will slowly lessen even more! Thanks for posting.

L

LouiseMN

Yah for you, Kat! Society has come a long way and with more people like you the stigma will slowly lessen even more! Thanks for posting.
I'm slowly working on my daughter. I am going to tell her she has empowerment to teach the ignorant! Well put. .

L

LouiseMN

Hellakat, your post is one I have kept as it gives me hope. You are a very strong person. Good for you! Waiting for others with BP to respond.