As if the stigma isn’t bad enough...

K

Kelly B

I just felt really insulted when CNN
So sorry to hear this. I'd like to hear some opposite type stories but I guess not. You should be treated with empathy and sympathy. I get that from my friends but I don't tell everyone. How did yours become so public that it was a problem? A manic episode? My daughter was psychotic manic when with college friends who were pretty cool with it and visited her at the hospital. She did withdraw after that though, followed by a l o n g depression.
My bipolar disorder was triggered by an antidepressant. I went manic/psychotic. Like your daughter a long depression followed. I wasn’t so lucky with the friends...they abandoned me.

K

Kelly B

My bipolar disorder was triggered by an antidepressant. I went manic/psychotic. Like your daughter a long depression followed. I wasn’t so lucky with the friends...they abandoned me.
It doesn’t bother me anymore. I developed a very thick skin.
My bipolar was triggered by my dads death (10yrs ago today:6/3/2009)
I was starting to become depressed again 6months prior,I have probably always had it, so I was 33 when I became really crook.
Unable to function.
Even as a nurse on a surgical ward,I witnessed the judgemental and negative attitude in regards to patients with mental illness.
Like for instance a patient displays the symptoms of depression and havnt had any help. I have intervened,hpw ever some nurses are like 'that's not our problem they need to go to their GP, Or the "well it's up to the patient to ask for help "
Thats just sad.

megirl

megirl

Yes same, went to the GP, started on paroxetine,anxiety was getting worse,getting no sleep at all,switched to citalopram,no change I was getting worse and worse. Didn't want to accept how crook I was,then defeated several refusals to accept psychiatric help,finally I sought their help.
Started on venlafaxine and yeh 2 weeks after that came the bipolar diagnosis

L

LouiseMN

That is so sad. My daughter has few friends but they are good ones. Check out the "A Success Story" thread here. Have hope. Tell people, lessen the stigma (as you are working/ contributing to society, correct?) You will find some true friends when you are treated and well.

megirl

megirl

Yep and some so called awesome friends kindly abandoned me also, very understanding of them NOT and a couple of caring nurses they were what rubbish

megirl

megirl

Well yes that's why I discussed having a mental illness to my future boss,
Yes that's right sometimes we can create our own stigma,no fault of our own

L

LouiseMN

Yes same, went to the GP, started on paroxetine,anxiety was getting worse,getting no sleep at all,switched to citalopram,no change I was getting worse and worse. Didn't want to accept how crook I was,then defeated several refusals to accept psychiatric help,finally I sought their help.
Started on venlafaxine and yeh 2 weeks after that came the bipolar diagnosis
Effexor. That is the med that caused my daughter to be diagnosed as well!!

megirl

megirl

I've been a nurse and accepting and capable of supporting others to seek help in regards to mental illness yet here I was in total denial,I think though that was an indication how crook I was.

L

LouiseMN

O think my daughter lost friends because of being embarrassed and isolated herself from everyone. Also she had a very controlling boyfriend at the time. Another story.

K

Kelly B

That is so sad. My daughter has few friends but they are good ones. Check out the "A Success Story" thread here. Have hope. Tell people, lessen the stigma (as you are working/ contributing to society, correct?) You will find some true friends when you are treated and well.
Truth be told, I have closed myself off from any friendships. I know it’s not healthy but losing the friends I had was devastating. For me there came a point where I just didn’t care anymore. Between the stigma and the loss I have developed a very thick skin. I’m not hardened or bitter about it. They weren’t the friends I thought they were...oh well. Next time I’ll be a little more choosy. It’s their loss because I’m the kind of friend who will stick by you in good times and bad. They didn’t deserve me. 😁

megirl

megirl

I have only considered the possibly of bipolar disorder being triggered by antidepressants from what you have posted. I havnt heard anything about bipolar being triggered by antidepressants until you had mentioned it.
See my support worker next week so I will discuss this with him.
It is through difficult times you find out exactly who yr true friends are. And I'm better off without them
It hurts at the time,sadly there's people like that around

K

Kelly B

Yep and some so called awesome friends kindly abandoned me also, very understanding of them NOT and a couple of caring nurses they were what rubbish
People’s true colors do come out in situations such as ours, don’t they?

K

Kelly B

I have only considered the possibly of bipolar disorder being triggered by antidepressants from what you have posted. I havnt heard anything about bipolar being triggered by antidepressants until you had mentioned it.
See my support worker next week so I will discuss this with him
Please do. There has to be an underlying mood disorder already for that to happen. My Illness most likely remained dormant for the rest of my life had it not been for taking the antidepressant citalopram. It was the match.

megirl

megirl

They certainly do.
I am sure you would agree I would never treat anyone like that.

L

LouiseMN

See my support worker next week so I will discuss this with him.
It is through difficult times you find out exactly who yr true friends are. And I'm better off without them
It hurts at the time,sadly there's people like that around
So you didn't think Effexor triggered your first manic episode? I thought that is what you said? I don't remember mentioning effexor until I looked up the generic name you wrote. Kist wondering if others here have had the same experience. I may be prolific, but I am pretty new here.

K

Kelly B

Please do. There has to be an underlying mood disorder already for that to happen. My Illness most likely remained dormant for the rest of my life had it not been for taking the antidepressant citalopram. It was the match.
Triggered a manic episode so fast it would spin your head.

megirl

megirl

Yes it was effexor. Saw my pdoc for the first time where she suspected I may have bipolar,then she saw me after 2 weeks saying that if I have bipolar the hypomanic symptoms would be heightened, and yes they were,

L

LouiseMN

So you didn't think Effexor triggered your first manic episode? I thought that is what you said? I don't remember mentioning effexor until I looked up the generic name you wrote. Kist wondering if others here have had the same experience. I may be prolific, but I am pretty new here.
I see. I did mention Effexor in my A Success Story post. Yes, it was the match that lit the fire.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Bipolar Forum 5
spoon-racoon Bipolar Forum 4