As if the stigma isn’t bad enough...

K

Kelly B

I don’t know about all of you, but I’m sick of the news media jumping to the conclusion that every person walking around with an AK47 shooting people is mentally ill. And that’s ALL they report often with no basis in fact. They don’t talk about the fact that people with mental illness are usually the victims of crimes, not the other way around. People with mental illness cause less crime than the general population. All they are doing is reinforcing the stigma. It’s no wonder people are afraid of us.

L

LouiseMN

I don’t know about all of you, but I’m sick of the news media jumping to the conclusion that every person walking around with an AK47 shooting people is mentally ill. And that’s ALL they report often with no basis in fact. They don’t talk about the fact that people with mental illness are usually the victims of crimes, not the other way around. People with mental illness cause less crime than the general population. All they are doing is reinforcing the stigma. It’s no wonder people are afraid of us.
I agree! It is predominant on TV shows too.
But I do feel that progress in general is being made. Celebrities are coming out. Meds for bipolar disorder are advertised on TV! None of this was happening a few years back.

M

megirl

Its unbelievable,for most people with mental illness we are the ones that suffer enough with out that judgemental crap.
Theres people out there that dont care,and dont understand what its like to suffer and to be honest,it would be different if they became mentally unwell.of course it would be x

K

Kelly B

There was something on the news recently where someone used a gun shooting people. Without ANY information on the shooter, they started talking about wether he’s mentally ill. Even if he isn’t mentally ill, it doesn’t matter because the news jumped right to mental illness off the bat and that’s what people remember. That people who commit these crimes all probably have a mental illness because what else could it be...I considered sending CNN a letter telling them how I felt about it, but quickly realized that because I’m bipolar they would probably see it as a threat.

K

Kelly B

There was something on the news recently where someone used a gun shooting people. Without ANY information on the shooter, they started talking about wether he’s mentally ill. Even if he isn’t mentally ill, it doesn’t matter because the news jumped right to mental illness off the bat and that’s what people remember. That people who commit these crimes all probably have a mental illness because what else could it be...I considered sending CNN a letter telling them how I felt about it, but quickly realized that because I’m bipolar they would probably see it as a threat.
I mean it’s bad enough to suffer with the mental illness, but the news media makes it sound like we could all snap at any given moment. Be afraid. Be very afraid. That’s the message they’re sending.

L

LouiseMN

I think you should have written CNN that letter. There is a chance it could be read by someone who doesn't feel that way. As I said earlier, although these things still occur there are other things happening in society that lessen the stigma. More people are coming out about their BP and depression, at least. It is a start.

L

LouiseMN

I think you should have written CNN that letter. There is a chance it could be read by someone who doesn't feel that way. As I said earlier, although these things still occur there are other things happening in society that lessen the stigma. More people are coming out about their BP and depression, at least. It is a start.
Snd I don't like the term bipolar as a noun. I have bipolar disorder, like I have depression.

M

megirl

Correct.
I am NOT bipolar I have bipolar disorder, I am not my illness.
I am 'Ann', I am a New-Zealander, I am a dog owner,I used to work as a nurse ,etc..that's who I am.
It would be interesting if they said 'there was a shooting in London it could be a possibility the shooter has diabetes, nope they wouldn't say that would they.
What idiots
Mental illness is an illness just as diabetes,or heart disease
Ignorant people

M

megirl

Kelly B I thought that's what you said alls good I know its easy to say, then I stop and think,
:hug:

M

megirl

Even a friend said that about some one else it just slipped out eg. My cousin is bipolar then she was like sorry I meant...they have bipolar.

L

LouiseMN

There is OCD, MDD. GAD. Easier to say than bipolar disorder. Should be BID?

K

Kelly B

I have mdd and gad, not bipolar disorder. I was just drawn to this thread because of the word stigma.
I didn’t develop bipolar disorder until I was 47. Late onset. I was shocked at the stigma. It was like I was less of a person. The 47 years leading up to my Illness suddenly meant nothing. I was stigmatized just like that. I wouldn’t wish a mental illness on my worse enemy. Maybe I really should write to CNN.

L

LouiseMN

I'm being a pain, I know. But depression is a noun, bipolar is not, is it? You say you have depressive disorder or Depression. Bipolar disorder or manic depressive? Bipolar is not a noun? I always try to say my daughter has BP disorder but I'm sure I say it wrong sometimes too.

M

megirl

My bipolar was triggered by my dads death (10yrs ago today:6/3/2009)
I was starting to become depressed again 6months prior,I have probably always had it, so I was 33 when I became really crook.
Unable to function.
Even as a nurse on a surgical ward,I witnessed the judgemental and negative attitude in regards to patients with mental illness.
Like for instance a patient displays the symptoms of depression and havnt had any help. I have intervened,hpw ever some nurses are like 'that's not our problem they need to go to their GP, Or the "well it's up to the patient to ask for help "

M

megirl

I'm confused, so 'I suffer from depression' or 'I suffer from bipolar' or 'I have depression' or 'I have bipolar disorder'
As long as you don't say 'I am bipolar' or 'I am a depressive'
Does that help

K

Kelly B

I'm being a pain, I know. But depression is a noun, bipolar is not, is it? You say you have depressive disorder or Depression. Bipolar disorder or manic depressive? Bipolar is not a noun? I always try to say my daughter has BP disorder but I'm sure I say it wrong sometimes too.
I usually don’t mess that up. But like megirl said, I am not my illness. Probably won’t mess it up again though lol. No worries. 😊

L

LouiseMN

I didn’t develop bipolar disorder until I was 47. Late onset. I was shocked at the stigma. It was like I was less of a person. The 47 years leading up to my Illness suddenly meant nothing. I was stigmatized just like that. I wouldn’t wish a mental illness on my worse enemy. Maybe I really should write to CNN.
So sorry to hear this. I'd like to hear some opposite type stories but I guess not. You should be treated with empathy and sympathy. I get that from my friends but I don't tell everyone. How did yours become so public that it was a problem? A manic episode? My daughter was psychotic manic when with college friends who were pretty cool with it and visited her at the hospital. She did withdraw after that though, followed by a l o n g depression.

L

LouiseMN

I'm confused, so 'I suffer from depression' or 'I suffer from bipolar' or 'I have depression' or 'I have bipolar disorder'
As long as you don't say 'I am bipolar' or 'I am a depressive'
Does that help
Yes thanks