• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Artists 'better protected' against dementia, study finds

S

supergreysmoke

Artists 'better protected' against dementia, study finds - Health - CBC News

Artists 'better protected' against dementia, study finds

Artists and musicians are less vulnerable to cognitive decline, a new Canadian study suggests.

Neurologists at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto found that artists suffering from vascular dementia may still be able to draw spontaneously and from memory, despite being unable to complete simple, everyday tasks.

"We discovered that there is a disproportion between the degree that artists lose some of their memory function, their orientation and other day-to-day cognitive functions. But at the same time, some of their art form is preserved," Dr. Luis Fornazzari, a neurological consultant at St. Michael’s Hospital memory clinic and lead author of the paper, told CBC News.

Artists compared with non-artists are better protected, he added. "Due to their art, the brain is better protected [against] diseases like Alzheimer's, vascular dementia, and even strokes. They have more reserve in their brain in order to give functions.

"So [we know], based on other neuroscience studies, that art in any of its forms uses different neuronal avenues inside the brain to do their work. And the activity, the talent and the art per se gives reserve when the brain requires that reserve."

(continued)

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Fascinating stuff.
Just goes to show how much being creative really is good for you.
Even if what you produce is something you'd consider rubbish (I can't draw for shite), the process of doing something creative is clearly very good for you.

S

supergreysmoke

Wonder whether it is partly technique and being in the zone with a creative activity? That's when concentration and co-ordination really do come together...when you are in that crystal state of mind, it is like 100% exercise of the mind...as you focus in on what you are doing. Comes from within, can't be easily taught.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Yeah I know what you mean.
I love it when i'm totally absorbed into some creative activity. My mind is empty of thoughts - very nice.

L

lovagemuffin

prolly wouldn't turn up to the study haha