Article in Guardian

F

fatgirlslim77

Founding Member
Wow, thanks for sharing that. It was really poignant and yes very uplifting. So many clients that I come across with MH problems are amazing writers. I wonder if there is a connection? I know lots of people with dyslexia are very artistic, something about using a different part of their brain? Sorry, I am thinking out loud. :confused:

Have a good day x

D

Dollit

Don't apologize for thinking out loud - if the article generates a conversation then that's good.

I write and always have done. None of my fiction published but several newspaper article but no byline as I'm not NUJ. Doing a story this year - the last one was on ASB and that was actually a big ego boost as I collaborated with someone I really admire and we got page 5 in the local paper (big circulation).

I love my fiction writing though and it is good for me. I'm not supposed to be able to write fiction though because I'm (allegedly) too analytical.

F

fatgirlslim77

Founding Member
Hi Dollit,

Thats sounds great. Good luck with your article. You obviously get alot out of your voluntary work, both good and bad? (!) Every committee has one jumped up, power hungy, antagonisitc prat on them in my experience. LOL

Have you tried to get your fiction published, or is it more of a personal thing? What sort of fiction do you write? Criminal by any chance?

I imagine it must be really enjoyable, being able to take your mind into a different zone so to speak. I have very little imagination! But love a good read once in a while, when I can concentrate. I used to love drama for that very reason, you could take yourself wherever you wanted to go and be a different person and just forget for a while. I loved improvisation, was so much fun. Do you know, I may look into whether there are any local drama groups.

I have contributed to some newspaper articles in the past and a Community Development Report, inadvertently, noone told me that they intended to use my findings for the report, but I was flattered that they used it as evidence, made me feel that my work was valued. There was a whole launch day for the report with people from the Police, Social Services, Education, PCT.

I dont think it really made a difference though sadly, just an excuse to redirect funding from one agency to another. Ah I have become so cynical, the poor voluntary sector is doomed, they spend more time fighting for funding and justifying their existence than being able to actually do the job.

I have digressed.... hope you're having a good weekend. x

D

Dollit

Digression or not very valid. I work almost exclusively with the Police & the Fire Service both of whom are maginalized and ignored as part of the community but both of whom have enormous amounts to give. A lot of what we do contributes to Community Development.

Never tried to get my fiction published as it's largely short stories which aren't a seller. I wouldn't put them on here as they are not beginning, middle and end stories, they're more like trains of thought we stroll on by.

Not having a bad weekend at all as it goes though nothing like I expected it to be.

F

fatgirlslim77

Founding Member
Hmmmm,

Men in uniform, that's motivation in itself ;) LOL Its great that you are supporting them. Everytime I hear someone slagging off emergency services, I remind them of every time they have instinctively called 999. It usually stops them in their tracks.

You should put a book together and get it published for yourself, well printed into a hardback book? Would be nice perhaps.

I hope to get my friends artwork printed into a book for her. Something to give to her children one day maybe or to just enjoy herself.

Its nice when things happen unexpectedly, well most of the time!

Enjoy.