• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Art Therapy

L

lonelyandlost

Has anyone attended art therapy (not group sessions) at lynfield mount hospital?

I have been referred there and just wanted to see how it has helped you :)

L

lonelyandlost

Well I am now on their waiting list for this, I have sent all the relevant form in, but I am totally dreading it.
They are going to match me up with a female and it is going to be individual as I cannot handle a group thing yet and maybe later move into a group.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
It could be fun! Stay open for the experience and who knows? :flowers:

J

Jolene

Hi

Lonely and lost I don't do art therapy but I study art. I find it does good for my illness except from the writing, but then you wont have to write. Art is relaxing, fun and helps peeeple express themselves.

It will do you good, have fun :cool:

T

Twylight

I'm a great believer in occupational therapy and I enjoy the distraction - twofold.

L

lonelyandlost

Thank you all for your support here, my first appointment has come and gone and I didn't quite get there.
I was absolutely terrified of going, but I set off, then had a mega panic attack and then passed out in the bus station.
I did ring up and explain things when I finally got back home and they re-scheduled for next week, so I am going to see if my key worker will come to the first one with me, it was all way too much to handle.

C

challangerchris

Thank you all for your support here, my first appointment has come and gone and I didn't quite get there.
I was absolutely terrified of going, but I set off, then had a mega panic attack and then passed out in the bus station.
I did ring up and explain things when I finally got back home and they re-scheduled for next week, so I am going to see if my key worker will come to the first one with me, it was all way too much to handle.
You made the effort to go, you should be proud of that!! Sorry to hear about your panic attack, good to hear you are going to try again.

Good luck with it all, if you even want someone to talk to then im open ears.......if you fancy meeting uo for a coffee then just give me a shout.

Take care.

L

lonelyandlost

Ok,
I have been for my first appointment, My key worker took me an also attended my appointment, I found it really hard to speak to the therapist and only really answered her questions, I couldn't lead any conversation and we never even got to the table to do any art.

My next appointment my Key worker was going to take me and stay but not come into the appointment and then take me home, but as it is this week coming up and that we have swine flu then I will be more than sure I won't be attending.

Thank you for the offer of a coffee :)

ally41

ally41

hey! i do art therapy and it's great. stick with it, if you're with the south and west yorkshire mh trust, you will be in VERY good hands, dont wanna say more but take it from me, i KNOW. as long as you are with one of the real and trained art therapists that is, it might be best to check....

p.s. i didnt even speak hardly at all for the first 3 sessions, it is art therapy and less importance is given to talking anyway..... sometimes its the parts of us that dont talk that have the most to say, you'll do fine xxx

calypso

calypso

Admin
I am doing art therapy and initially I was skeptical and he talked and talked. But gradually, step by step, I am getting into it more and more. The 'art' bit didn't really start for the first few weeks as he got to know me and sort out the way to best help me.

justme

justme

Founding Member
I did mine there and had a lady therapist it seriously was rubbish she made me feel like a freak of nature :unsure: i would never go back
I hope yours works