• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Art as Therapy

E

ElizaLeahy

Has anyone tried art as therapy?

I'm the other way around... I'm an artist with a mental illness. I guess that I'd have to stop art as the therapy! LOL

This year I'm in a research project about 8 artists who live with a mental illness. It's interesting meeting the other artists, we are all very different - different illness's, different coping mechanisms, different art. It's interesting. We have exhibited together three times so far, with the main exhibition being next March. They hope to take the exhibition around Australia. Part of it has already been shown outside Australia, in Chicago.

If you want to see the different art, and read what the artists say about themselves and their art - www.artistcitizen.com

:)

Hope everyone is feeling well today!

I

IL_Artist

I too am an artist with a mental illness, but I do find art to be very therapeutic. Honestly, art is the only reason I'm still alive.

I am feeling rather well today though. I'm working on a painting right now that is coming along very well except for some vibrating colors in one part.

Interesting project though. I might have to see if there are any similar projects around my niche of the woods.

T

Thumbelina

Since joining the forum I have been stimulated to draw sketches of images that I have had in my head for ages- I od not consider myself artistic at all but I am pleased with the way the images have turned out. They represent what I feel has happened inside of me and yesterday when I had an episode of feeling very low and very frightened in the morning- I drew how I felt. It was fascinating very satisfying and cathartic for me to see on paper the image of what I felt was happening. My mood lifted and the rest of my day was really good.
So I guess in a long round about way I am trying to say Yes I find doing art very therapeutic!
Thumbelina :flowers:

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I've been making art my whole life although I never saw it as art myself. It was always an outlet of emotion. It helps to get it all out on to paper or canvas or to dig in to some clay...especially when SH is a problem.

I'm happy to see more people who enjoy expressing through art.:)