• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Aromatherapy helps me

S

shelly33

Hi,

I just wanted to tell you that, whilst I take meds (mood stabiliser, antidepressant and antipsychotic), I have found that aromatherapy can take the edge off my anxiety, if I use a few drops of oils in the bath or on an oil burner before it has progressed too far. I have found that by using aromatherapy I can just about get by without benzodiazepines (which I am afraid to take because I have a history of addiction).

I don't think that it's been any sort of miracle cure for me, and I don't consider it a substitute for medical help, but I expected it to have no discernable effect and was pleasantly surprised at the fact that it does make a small difference. Every little helps!

Take care, everyone,
Shelly xx

L

lonelyandlost

I enjoy using aromatherapy for all type of ailments and illnesses. I mix all my own and loads of recipes for many different things.

I am glad that you have some relief from using aromatherapy. :)

S

*Sapphire*

I used to use aromatherapy alot, in the bath or burners. They really seemed to help, don't know why i still don't use them actually!
What ones do you use for anxiety? I used to use lavendar but for some reason it irritates me, i don't find it relaxing at all!
I'd be interested to hear as i want to re-stock and use them more!
I like Ylang Ylang, I have that in the bath sometimes. :)

S

shelly33

Hi Sapphire,

I have found that ylang ylang is helpful when I am highly anxious and want to be calmed, it relaxes me. When I am anxious but also feel extremely low in mood, bergamot calms my anxiety and gives me a lift.

So far, they're the only 2 I've tried, but because I was pleased with the results, I've ordered roman chamomile, melissa type, neroli, vetiver and clary sage. They're all recommended for anxiety/depression and I'm looking forward to trying them and seeing how I get on.

I'm pleased that you find aromatherapy helpful as well, and that you're thinking of trying it again, because I've found it an easy way to gain some relief and comfort.

Shelly xxx

S

*Sapphire*

Thanks Shelly

I will try them.
I find infusing pure dried chamomile flower heads into hot water (with a funny metal infuser things you can buy- like a metal teabag- you put them in, close it and pop into your cup) is great for helping with sleep. Blimey it can knock you out! :)

S

shelly33

Hi Sapphire,

I don't know what infusing means, but please could you let me know as I'd like to try that. I have problems getting to sleep, and that sounds really effective!

Thanks,
Shelly xxxxx

S

*Sapphire*

No problems, basically I put it in one of these in the picture. You open it up, pop in the Chamomile flower heads and then close it. Then pop it in a cup of hot water for a few mins. Then drink it. Sometimes it is better with a bit of runny honey in it. It is lovely (I find anyway!) And helps me to sleep (when I have it)!

Attachments

L

lonelyandlost

These are the main ones I use

Clary sage I tend to use with lavender for insomnia, anxiety, depresion

basil when feeling over tired and anxiety

Ylang ylang (my favourite with lavender) relaxer

sandlewood relaxer and help with anxiety

All very good for use with depresion, insomnia and anxiety

I also use ylang ylang in my iron, I place an odd drop to the water for the steam

S

*Sapphire*

Thanks lonleyandlost

And shelly they all sound great, i'm going to restock by ordering some now!
What a good idea putting ylang ylang into the iron! I never thought of doing that before. I'm def going to try that from now on! :)

wendolene26

wendolene26

I've been reading my book of essential oils recently and have come across two or three oils which the book recommends using in oil burners which help with depression. Lemon and Peppermint I have heard of, but it specifically says Spike Lavender rather than just Lavender. Does anyone have any experience of using Spike Lavender essential oil and whether it should be used instead of standard lavender oil?