• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Aren't bipolar moods supposed to be more extreme?

Pink

Pink

I was talking to my psychologist yesterday. She agreed that usually moods in bipolar are pretty extreme and distructive. I don't see mines as destructive moods.

But I still have issues where I start hobbies, get really into them, only to drop them within a few days to a few weeks because all of a sudden I have lost motivation and get bored.

I don't feel those are manic episodes because I don't feel extremely happy I just feel more motivated and interested in things. It can cost a lot of money because now I have stuff I don't use or need. And I keep changing hobbies. Can't stick to one thing. For example, a few months back I bought an exercise bike that I returned because I stopped using it out of bordom. I started a course that I didn't finish because I didn't get the grades I wanted in the initial exams.

This is why I keep doubting my dx. I don't think in the moment I feel manic.

K

keith74

Perhaps it is just more mild hypomania? Do you still get some sleep when you feel like this?

Pink

Pink

Perhaps it is just more mild hypomania? Do you still get some sleep when you feel like this?
Most nights I’m sleeping ok. Although there have been a few days where I had to take something to help me sleep.

K

keith74

If you can still get some sleep, then it certainly does not seem like a full manic episode. It could just be an elevated mood of some sort (or mild hypomania at most). My wife has these types of moods that can eventually escalate into a manic episode if she is not careful. Do you come out of it naturally on your own without doing anything special to calm down?

Pink

Pink

If you can still get some sleep, then it certainly does not seem like a full manic episode. It could just be an elevated mood of some sort (or mild hypomania at most). My wife has these types of moods that can eventually escalate into a manic episode if she is not careful. Do you come out of it naturally on your own without doing anything special to calm down?
Not sure if it is mania but it quickly dies down naturally and I know when I’m no longer interested in the hobby. I just drop it.

2Much2Feel

Not sure if it is mania but it quickly dies down naturally and I know when I’m no longer interested in the hobby. I just drop it.
Yep. I have Amazon packages around with things I still haven’t opened, either lose interest or get frustrated with the technology and give up. Can’t even say how many classes I’ve taken and never finish. It is expensive. I relate to what you say, I was originally diagnosed as bipolar 2, hit really low lows but no real highs, just high enough to think I can take something new on, but then I crash again...

C

celticlass

I do the generating ideas, sorting out projects to complete but they never get done! This seems to be getting worse as I get older.

HLon99

HLon99

I rarely get depressed and I’ve had a psychosis.
🤷‍♂️ Maybe you just don't notice subjectively your manic behaviour. I don't feel particularly happy during mania either. If anything I am irritable and angry. Mania comes in many different forms

Pink

Pink

🤷‍♂️ Maybe you just don't notice subjectively your manic behaviour. I don't feel particularly happy during mania either. If anything I am irritable and angry. Mania comes in many different forms
Maybe those spikes in productivity is my mania. Or maybe the meds are just good at suppressing most my symptoms.

HLon99

HLon99

Maybe those spikes in productivity is my mania. Or maybe the meds are just good at suppressing most my symptoms.
That's very possible. Since being on meds, I have only had one minor hypomanic episode lasting a week, and it was nowhere near as intense as before I was medicated.

K

keith74

But do you then immediately jump to a new hobby where the same thing happens (over and over)? If so, then this is a classic manic symptom.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I was talking to my psychologist yesterday. She agreed that usually moods in bipolar are pretty extreme and distructive. I don't see mines as destructive moods.

This is why I keep doubting my dx. I don't think in the moment I feel manic.
The times I've been at my worst I absolutely 100% did not know I was like that at the time. Hypo's I can see and maybe feel, but I still don't know at the time if I'm in one or not; not 100%, I'll say a 'maybe' most of the time.

What you say here, twice, is more in line with how I would feel in that at the time the awareness goes and knowing what state you're in is no longer something you are the best judge of. So either you have been in these states and have lost the insight (but you'd usually expect to see the fallout of that elsewhere too, which it doesn't sound like there is too much of other than maybe excess purchases); or you're experiencing Hypo's and the fallout isn't so bad and the experience itself doesn't feel all that bad.

The thing I can never feel right about is when others describe their own experiences and speak fluently and assuredly as if fully aware of every single piece of it, knowing exactly when and how they're manic and so forth. Maybe it's just the way my own materialises (and that's all I've really got to go on to be fair) but it makes me question if they're being genuine when they speak like that. It's supposed to be an illness of the mind, a severe one, how are people fully aware of it all? I'm certainly not.

Pink

Pink

But do you then immediately jump to a new hobby where the same thing happens (over and over)? If so, then this is a classic manic symptom.
Not immediately but I can never stick to one hobby. I have had loads and loads.