Are you ready to do regular work?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
saw something about them doing away with the disability premium in the guardian with the change to universal credit which is the same amount for everyone, though disability benefits will still exist

asked this mind employment women about work, she didn't want to know referred me to EACH a place below were when i asked they do basic numeracy, literacy and computing courses, think if i'm posting here i'm above that

spoke to the mind guy about voluntary work, he said are you really ready for that, as far as i can see if i was i'd be on benefit levels i couldn't cope on

don't know what to think, deeply worried about benefits and though i'd like to work, in this less than ideal world problems. for a start the no of times in social housing i've had the neighbour from hell keeping me up too 6 in the morning, taking drugs and plating loud music, how would i cope with working in that situation, as it is fitness for work is highly suspect, put pressure on me it's impossible

Y

Yoghurt and nuts

Good luck with getting back to work. I started back at work last year, but only half time. I have flexible hours, and have been able to do more recently after looking after my nutrition better and having been tapering meds for a long time.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my boss said it's all very well employing disabled people but you've got to give them the support

severe mental illness you need support, theres the tiredness due to powerful drugs, the cognitive effects, the difficulties getting on with people, work is social usually

Kerome

Kerome

I had another interview... the whole thing felt to me a bit toxic, people not so much focussed on happiness as on the burdens they had to carry.

It left me feeling a it depressed. Maybe I’m now too sensitive to work in a normal place.

N

natalie

Sorry to hear what you suffered at your interview Kerome.

Maybe just stick to what you are normally doing already, or how about trying out volunteering, or to do part time study coures.

N

natalie

I hadn't realised that this point came up, yes i agree, that meds definitely do make one tired, and i prefer now, and i am resuming volunteering, to take my dose early evening, and to keep better well, for the evenings, and also for the daytime, and more alert, after a good nights sleep hopefully and feel refreshed, a day after.

I am on 25ml, which I won't reduce, and I go tired, very very easily, withouit much caffine, intake, and tired quick. So i like to stick, with what I know, volunteering, and these days, I offer longer stints. on a day of volunteering. 25ml, is far and I swear by the best dose for me.

naominash

naominash

At the point where I care little whether I work or not.

I want to be a mom one day and stay home with my baby or babies.

Chasing money can only make you so happy. I will keep my education goals and maybe work full time for a season. But Im really starting to see myself as being a homemaker for a while.

Kerome

Kerome

I agree with you naominash that money only makes so much difference, but one does have to look at the practical side. It’s important to have enough. Here there is no such thing as disability benefits for mental health, only the social assistance benefit for when you’ve been unable to find work and have run out of your money.

For me it’s a difficult situation. If I don’t find work then I’ll eventually run out and be on a minimal support, maybe have to spend some time homeless or with family while I wait for social housing.

Better to go find work that I enjoy while I have control of my situation, I thought. But returning to work is not proving easy.

naominash

naominash

I feel like you'd be good at teaching or tutoring. The wisdom and patience you have may help you there.

Over where I am, there are job agencies specifically for people with mental health issues.

But if you can find a temporary work agency that's good, that might help.

Kerome

Kerome

Here we have a government service called IPS which finds you work when you’re ready to work again. They offer employers certain incentives to take you on, so it can all be done above board and you don’t have to hide that you’ve been ill. It’s part of the care-in-the-community team. Unfortunately I don’t qualify for it at the moment due to where I live, it’s funded by local government.

Kerome

Kerome

I believe IPS exists in the United States as well, so if you’re looking for work you can see if it’s available. I’m less sure whether it’s been adopted in the UK though.

burt tomato

burt tomato

I keep reading that there is a skills shortage in IT. Might as well take advantage.

I have never worked in Holland, but surely you can find a relaxed company. Why not ease yourself into it with a chilled job to start with.

I once worked in Belgium and it was horrible. Also, I tend to avoid Software houses as they are very stressy. But lots of other places with opportunities.

Last edited:
naominash

naominash

I keep reading that there is a skills shortage in IT. Might as well take advantage.

I have never worked in Holland, but surely you can find a relaxed company. Why not ease yourself into it with a chilled job to start with.

I once worked in Belgium and it was horrible. Also, I tend to avoid Software houses as they are very stressy. But lots of other places with opportunities.
Go IT people!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member

did a open uni course the tutor suggested learning it and doing it from home, my sister said you need experience in offices before you can work from home the tutor sugggested the shaw trust as somewhere to contact, they got the contract as one of the dwp work providers later on

i managed to fail a open uni computing course, though i learnt some things, when it came to the programming bit it wouldn't work on my computer, when i contacted the ou help desk they said contact the firewall provider, that if there was a no would have been premium rate so i couldn't do the programmming bit and failed

i could have got the course paid for if i'd contacted the dwp but was worried if i completed it they'd declare me fit, the support worker sugggested a psychiatrists letter saying it was therepeutic but the secretary said she didn't have the time so i ended up paying 400 pounds

Kerome

Kerome

Off the drugs I’m too ill to work, and on the drugs I lose so much ability to concentrate, energy and drive to do things that work becomes hard
I came across this somewhere in a post - I think it was by Not_Crazy_Yet - and it prompted me to do some soul-searching because I think I may also be in that situation. My latest job interview ended with them saying, you were a very strong candidate and we will get back to you in January. So I’m now looking again at how well I am because I’m thinking even if I had gotten the job it would have been difficult to start full time work from a cold start.

Partially it is the drugs, I do find it difficult to concentrate for extended periods. It leaves you with the need to take little breathers throughout your day, whereas in the past I would have worked in 2 hour stretches or longer. I’m not sure whether I can still do the same things, and when I talked to my jobs coach at the mental health care, she said “it’s difficult, all you can do is try it and see, and maybe take a part-time job”.

Prairie Sky

Prairie Sky

Maybe someday there will be accommodation for mental illness in the workplace as there is for physical disability.

I feel I could work better through episodes, with an extended shift with frequent short breaks and a quiet space to retreat to. Just adjust the pay rate to the amount of time actually spent working.

But maybe that's just a dream.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Getting Your Life Back! 5