• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Are you just a bad person?

N

Neevee

I know a fair number of people here have gotten clinical diagnoses. Did it help? I mostly mean is there always gonna be treatment or are some people just bad people/failures. When are issues just issues and when are they actually medical?

TDCI1994

TDCI1994

I would say when there is a cluster of patterns that evolve around a certain mental disorder and it starts to eat away your life to a point that reality is your worst nightmare. Nobody is just useless or a burden everyone takes different mental and physical paths in life, making everyones interpretations and perceptions different to one anothers. Everyone's conditions is unique to themselves and just labelling somebody schizophrenic or OCD could mean a thousand different combinations.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

I think all issues with depression is issues. No one I've ever heard of was born depressed. For me forgetting about the past hurt and setting a goal for a happy future is what helped me.

Schwarzen

Schwarzen

When a qualified professional says they are.

That being said there are a whole lot of low quality professionals and even with good ones this is far, far from being a hard science.

Still, educated opinions are almost always better than uneducated ones.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

I've never seen a toddler want to kill themselves or hate life so I can't see anyone being born depressed. That sounds awful... I am just making a point.

Beta012

Beta012

I got a clinical diagnosis for depression pretty much as soon as I started having depression symptoms because my psychologist knew that was really not normal for me since I was going through a really hard time and I still am. I got it because I felt like I was in a living nightmare because of how bad my life is with the terrible pain I experience. I still have those really bad thoughts sometimes. People can feel depressed or feel like they are a bad person/failure without getting diagnosed though. The diagnosis didn't do much for me because I already was taking anxiety medicine at the time which also works as an anti-depressant since it's an SSRI. All that changed was a difference in my therapy.
I will say I have had near death experiences and I know it's going to get easier for me in the end. That's what keeps me going.

jajingna

jajingna

I've thought of myself not as a bad person, but as someone who hasn't really done well in life. I never got into the right line of work, whatever that would be. And I've never been all that emotionally stable or socially confident. I've had some struggles and even bad luck I guess. But I don't really feel like a failure, just more like I've had a hard time. I still have hope that circumstance can improve.

E

EclipticNight

I think I'm a bad person due to feelings and evils within me. If I enjoy just one other person's pain that makes me bad and I have many more than one on that list.

M

Mistral

Sometimes we make bad decisions and we find out only years that they were bad decisions. Maybe when we were making those decisions, we only knew how to make bad decisions and it was not our fault. I think depression just stops you making any decisions so that you cannot make either bad or good decisions. It tells you that any decision you make will be a bad decision. You have to turn that around and it takes time.

B

Bobbyewing

Nobody is a failure as a person. How would you define success? There is no one definition that's acceptable
You don't have to justify your existence.

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

Diagnosis is some thing that you have to except whether it makes you a bad person or not ...but I don’t think a diagnosis can make somebody a bad person but I think can make somebody a bad person is lack of sympathy and caring. sympathy is something that should be held in high regards. And something to be learned from.

J

JeanPierre

I've thought of myself not as a bad person, but as someone who hasn't really done well in life. I never got into the right line of work, whatever that would be. And I've never been all that emotionally stable or socially confident. I've had some struggles and even bad luck I guess. But I don't really feel like a failure, just more like I've had a hard time. I still have hope that circumstance can improve.
I find you extremely talented. A poet, a songwriter.
You mentioned you taught in S. Korea? That must have been different and exciting.
Might you do that via the internet? English speakers such as yourself are in great demand, I hear.

N

Neevee

Nobody is a failure as a person. How would you define success? There is no one definition that's acceptable
You don't have to justify your existence.
I like the not having to justify your existence. You really can do whatever you want. It's your life.

J

JeanPierre

I got a clinical diagnosis for depression pretty much as soon as I started having depression symptoms because my psychologist knew that was really not normal for me since I was going through a really hard time and I still am. I got it because I felt like I was in a living nightmare because of how bad my life is with the terrible pain I experience. I still have those really bad thoughts sometimes. People can feel depressed or feel like they are a bad person/failure without getting diagnosed though. The diagnosis didn't do much for me because I already was taking anxiety medicine at the time which also works as an anti-depressant since it's an SSRI. All that changed was a difference in my therapy.
I will say I have had near death experiences and I know it's going to get easier for me in the end. That's what keeps me going.
I hear you.

J

JeanPierre

I think I'm a bad person due to feelings and evils within me. If I enjoy just one other person's pain that makes me bad and I have many more than one on that list.
I'm sure that is not totally true. Here you are sharing, in hopes of either understanding yourself or seeking knowledge of someone's else treating you with disrespect.
As someone above said, a baby is not born hoping to see another's pain.