• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are you aware of what's happening when Manic?

• Thread starter TheHeartHasAVoice
  • Start date
T

TheHeartHasAVoice

When you are manic, are you aware of what's happening?

It's just the the more I observe I feel like you can either be conscious or unconscious.

If you're very very drunk, you're basically another creature and are unconscious. Just like how someone who is Manic loses touch with reality. Both cases don't always have memories of what happened.

But if your emotionally overwhelmed, it's not really a disease...because you're still aware of your state.

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

I'm curious too! I feel there are varying degrees of this, like hypomanic you are more aware, but full on mania you may be losing reality?? I always seem to feel a degree of self awareness, that's why I'm not too worried about treatment yet, but sometimes i wonder if i am delusional or just getting out of control for real or it's just some over concerned onlooker making me feel that way. Hmm...

JessisMe

JessisMe

When I am manic I feel normal, possessing good judgement, that I am in control of my faculties, etc...I often do not recall what I was doing during my mania immediately after it. If I try I can recall months later. Sometimes something will trigger the memory and other times I will just recall on its own for no reason in particular. After I recall what I was doing I will realize how completely delusional i had been and out of touch with reality. It is actually quite scary for me because at the time everything feels noble right and virtuous but after i realize the extent to which I was really doing, saying and thinking things that have little basis in reality. So I would say that while I am manic I am aware of what I am doing but view it through a pensé that is different from “reality.” That afterwards I recall very little and only in the longer term am I able to make real, grounded, objective, rational sense of the experience. I am diagnosed with bipolar with psychotic features so my tendency to delusion may be ramped up a bit more than the average but that’s my experience with the condition for what it’s worth. :hug: xo, j

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

When I am manic I feel normal, possessing good judgement, that I am in control of my faculties, etc...I often do not recall what I was doing during my mania immediately after it. If I try I can recall months later. Sometimes something will trigger the memory and other times I will just recall on its own for no reason in particular. After I recall what I was doing I will realize how completely delusional i had been and out of touch with reality. It is actually quite scary for me because at the time everything feels noble right and virtuous but after i realize the extent to which I was really doing, saying and thinking things that have little basis in reality. So I would say that while I am manic I am aware of what I am doing but view it through a pensé that is different from “reality.” That afterwards I recall very little and only in the longer term am I able to make real, grounded, objective, rational sense of the experience. I am diagnosed with bipolar with psychotic features so my tendency to delusion may be ramped up a bit more than the average but that’s my experience with the condition for what it’s worth. :hug: xo, j
What you both said is interesting and I'll tell you why starting with you.

If I am going to be really general here, If i've understoond you correctly, what you just described is not very different to an emotional urge if you carefully analyze the details. For example, some of the people in the eating disorders section could describe something similar but the source that triggers their emotional urge is a food item. They act upon the triggering item and later have regrets and think more rationally that it wasn't the right thing to do.

Is your mania fueled by your thought process at the time? So by the "pensé" you mentioned, do you mean a certain belief or thought at the time? Like are you associating too much belief to your thought process at the time which causes your mania to flare?

Is it the "delusion" that you associate too much belief too?

If I have understood this all correctly then are you able to become more aware of your inner world sometime during that process and cut the mania off yourself?

Because you have an awareness as you stated already. Are you able to increase it.

The reason I say this is because I have managed to increase my awareness with various energy rises as they are actively occurring including panic attacks and have been able to diffuse them. Even once when I was at work. This includes delusions.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

But I'll also say that mania can happen because of sleep deprivation, or even hormonal problems. Physical diseases can cause them. Even antidepressants themselves can cause them so every human can potentially have mania.

So maybe mania is unique to each person but by breaking things down from the human anatomical level at least it can help in getting to the source of the issue to reduce it's frequency or eliminate it.

If my sleep is poor I can get sick. It can handle a bit of sleep deprivation now that I have become more aware of my inner world but I don't deliberately stay up at night and all that anymore.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I'll also add that mania is typically characterized by being in a state that is beyond your control. If you are aware though then you are still in control. That's why the milder mania known as "hypo-mania" isn't necessarily considered a form which goes beyond self control/awareness.

But I think there's more to it, I think even in the mild stage, if you act upon a delusion it can suddenly flare up into mania quickly if you keep fueling the fire. If you get a sudden grandiose thought and you keep acting upon it you'll inflame your manic state further and quicker then what's commonly believed.

That's why I think Psychiatry may not have a thorough enough understanding of this condition. It's too individual. You have to break it down from a human anatomical view.

I've read in my Bipolar Book that "Bipolar Disorder" is considered the label which seems to be given when you're not sure what's wrong with the person. That's what he heard from his professor or teacher and in his career as a Psychiatrist he see's that belief to be further strengthened. I'll confirm the page number and book name/author name for that as I'm paraphrasing here. Interestingly Bipolar has many of the symptoms from a wide range of Disorders in the DSM (If my memory serves me correct). If that's the case then it might be a label given when it is not known what is wrong with the person. I'm going to do a computer analysis in my database system to confirm that.

If that's the case then maybe people with this label are some of the most disturbed people. That's interesting because it can take 10 years to truly diagnose someone as genuinely Bipolar.

I'm interested to know how can that be? or Why is that the case? Is it a label of convenience then?

I've seen in my own life someone being diagnosed as bipolar but they were only going through a difficult time because they were stressed and had been divorced.

Add to that that in my research none of these Disorders can be detected on the brain. Once something gets detected on the brain it goes under a different category. I think that's called "having biological markers".

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. thanks.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Sometimes I feel Bipolar may not be the incurable Disorder it's being made out to be. At least not in every case.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I'd like to agree with that last statement THHAV, but I'm also aware that I can't truly vouch for others experiences so I'll restrain myself from making a judgement on that, but I have seen, for example, youtube videos that people have made where I think they're acting up for the views.

People do get diagnosed incorrectly though, we should all know that much by now. Some people only have one manic episode and never have another episode of any kind, but it's enough to get the diagnosis. Is that really accurate? Well, technically, yes. And hey, psychiatry is hardly a precise science, it's largely guesswork, admittedley by the trained, but still.

I was going to reply to the initial post in saying that I'm not even 100% I could ever say I have even had a manic episode, and I put a question on hypos even. Looking back on things and how I was, in hindsight it may seem like it, but I just don't know for sure. All I know is that describing the situations to a psych got me the label and that mood stabilisers have reduced the severity of mood fluctuations or episodes. I know I still have periods of high activity and periods with very little; I know I go through phases of being interested in certain things and then again, the opposite. That's suggestive of the illness but hey, I don't think even ourselves can be true experts on some things that we experience.

I've read in my Bipolar Book that "Bipolar Disorder" is considered the label which seems to be given when you're not sure what's wrong with the person.
That's interesting because I've heard exactly the same regarding Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). You'll have to forgive the questioning but I'm assuming you didn't mix up the two, and if not, it may reaffirm the comment I just made about guesswork.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I believe my two episodes of psychosis could be also described as manic episodes, I had an abundance of energy and it felt like I was on Ecstasy or Amphetamines without actually taking anything of the sort. I was in a delusional state guided by a voice I was hearing, I remember most of it but I liken it to living in a kind of dream.

I didn't question any of it, I was sort of dragged along in a fast flowing river of thought.

HLon99

HLon99

I sort of drift in and out of self awareness when manic. Part of me understands that what is happening to me is not normal and I feel emotionally and physically overwhelmed, the other part wants to believe my grandiose delusions that I am god-like being capable of doing whatever I please. As the Mania intensifies, I tend to shift towards the more delusional end of the spectrum.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I believe my two episodes of psychosis could be also described as manic episodes, I had an abundance of energy and it felt like I was on Ecstasy or Amphetamines without actually taking anything of the sort. I was in a delusional state guided by a voice I was hearing, I remember most of it but I liken it to living in a kind of dream.

I didn't question any of it, I was sort of dragged along in a fast flowing river of thought.
I can totally understand what happened with you on that day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Zardos Bipolar Forum 36
Julzeebub Bipolar Forum 3
Wandering2 Bipolar Forum 8