• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are you afraid of words?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Are you afraid to write something, so instead do not at all?

It is only words.

I see a word as a new leaf in a tree of a person.

Some can grow into great branches as well.

Just musing.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I just listened to a podcast - and the talker said - You can be right or you can be happy.

Really struck home to me.

Better to get things wrong, and not worry about it. Or to do things your own way.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

With meaning to right and wrong - I think she meant about fitting in. Doing what you are supposed to do.

but to be honest, most of the members on this site do their own things.... ;)

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i think language is very controlled in this society - a lot of subjects are taboo, or are only to be discussed/framed in certain ways.

We never really moved on in many ways from the Victorians.

i think the mass media/middle class values dictates how a lot of people communicate.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

i think language is very controlled in this society - a lot of subjects are taboo, or are only to be discussed/framed in certain ways.

We never really moved on in many ways from the Victorians.

i think the mass media/middle class values dictates how a lot of people communicate.
Yeah I feel that for many life is mapped out before they leave school. We all know the map.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah I feel that for many life is mapped out before they leave school. We all know the map.
Yea - people think we have genuine freedoms/free speech - very largely we don't - so much is highly controlled/conditioned - A very good example are the areas of mental health. A lot is self regulated - the masses are the main censors.

The system churns out drones.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Just musing.
I think that's rather lovely!

I've always had a love for, and interest in, words and language. I can't say I've ever been frightened of writing anything though. This said, it can often take me a long time to write some things as I tend to choose my words carefully and re-read several times.

CPU, I agree, language is controlled but I think that we are more open now regarding subjects that were once considered taboo.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Just as a aside. I am sometime afraid to write or to talk. Life can be brutal, and sometimes it is easier to withdraw.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
Are you afraid to write something, so instead do not at all?

It is only words.

Just musing.
All the time.

To me, it's not only words, it's revealing something about myself. More often than not makes me nervous and unsure. I have to come back and check I haven't dropped a clanger. I am very careful about what I write, worry whether it's acceptable, or could be misinterpreted :unsure:

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

All the time.

To me, it's not only words, it's revealing something about myself. More often than not makes me nervous and unsure. I have to come back and check I haven't dropped a clanger. I am very careful about what I write, worry whether it's acceptable, or could be misinterpreted :unsure:
I guess I think of it as a tuning a piano - sure you can out with some duff notes but if you don't play the piano you will never know! :)

its only my thoughts.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
I guess I think of it as a tuning a piano - sure you can out with some duff notes but if you don't play the piano you will never know! :)

its only my thoughts.
Yes, I try to look at it more that way :)

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Slightly more maybe? Still not entirely convinced.
Looking at things from a more personal aspect and comparing my own and my parents' generations with that of my children's, there has been change.

There are many subjects that were never discussed openly, if at all, decades ago, which are now talked about without hesitation. There's a long way to go and yes, I think the mass media dictates communications and acceptance to some extent but I do think we're making progress.

Then again, I'm in an optimistic mood at the moment :)

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away....

Sorry to prat around on your thread Brat, but I couldn't resist.

rubyrose

rubyrose

I'm reticent because of extreme anxiety and self-consciousness. Also, I'm constantly worried about sounding/seeming stupid when I write or speak. You wouldn't believe how long it often takes me to post a message! I'll keep rereading it and often I'll be on the verge of posting and then suddenly hate the way the whole thing sounds, erase it, and start all over again. Sometimes I just give up completely and end up not posting the message at all. In a way, I feel like I try to compensate for my lack of beauty with my 'intelligence'...like, if I can't be pretty at least people can say "that girl is smart." I actually love words. I used to read the dictionary as a kid and I'm always searching for the meanings of different words. I just have a lot of self-doubt and I'm super insecure.