• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are you a 'proper' bipolar?

InterruptingGirl

InterruptingGirl

Just wondering if anyone ever tells you that you don't come across as bipolar...can people always tell you have it? Is there such thing as 'high functioning bipolar'? I think my family and friends know there's something 'wrong' with me but generally people who don't know me well or I meet for the first time have no idea and recently someone told me they didn't get that vibe from me...I know i've learnt to hide a multitude of sins over the years and appear to be managing well. The comment just made me feel like I was some kind of imposter...like I was expected to be really crazy and buzzing.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Just wondering if anyone ever tells you that you don't come across as bipolar...can people always tell you have it? Is there such thing as 'high functioning bipolar'? I think my family and friends know there's something 'wrong' with me but generally people who don't know me well or I meet for the first time have no idea and recently someone told me they didn't get that vibe from me...I know i've learnt to hide a multitude of sins over the years and appear to be managing well. The comment just made me feel like I was some kind of imposter...like I was expected to be really crazy and buzzing.
I think it would be true that most people don’t “seem bipolar” unless they are manic and if the illness is being managed properly manias should be fewer and not as extensive. I don’t think most people consider me bipolar even in the midst of my manias. They likely just consider me to be eccentric or possibly a little “crazy” but are not likely to know in what way.

Zero One

Zero One

I think I'm known for my bipolar but they do not know it is bipolar. I think I come across a bit rough which causes people to want to get rough with me or show me they are rough too. I think this is also because I try to be nice, so they think we'll she is rough but trying to be nice, so she is really nice and not rough at all, I'll show her who's rough😋. I can laugh but I am usually very calculated when it comes to people like this. It is mostly at work and I don't want to lose my job for them.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Only a handful of people notice when I'm hypo and that's because they know me well. I'm very good at pretending to be "normal" and being a wallflower when I'm depressed and when I'm hypo people just thinks it's me being in a good mood. My last proper manic episode was almost a decade ago and my meds has kept me in check since then. Few people remember how I acted back then and even I don't remember most of it. I do suffer from periodic bouts of mixed episodes and have struggled with some rapid cycling, especially last year which I think was induced by stress. I manage to work part time, but I'm also on disability because of my mental health issues. I sometimes wonder if I'm misdiagnosed even though I've been diagnosed by three different doctors, but talking to other bipolars seems to confirm my diagnosis even more so even if most people don't notice it doesn't mean it's not real and with proper treatment most symptoms can be kept in check allowing one to live a somewhat "normal" existence.

A

Anne Has A Way

I am so glad someone else feels this way.

I completely relate. For a long time I did not think my depression could be labeled as such and I was just being dramatic and lazy. I think when depression hits I climb into a little hidey hole where no one sees me so they are not aware of the downs. My ups are me being super cheerful, outgoing, productive and spiritual whilst hiding the more "sinful" extravagance.

I think others with similar diagnoses recognise each other - i.e. informed people. I was drawn to a person (later a friend) who I later discovered has bipolar and I was finally able to recognise the similarities and be properly diagnosed.

A

Askerofquestions

I am so glad someone else feels this way.

I completely relate. For a long time I did not think my depression could be labeled as such and I was just being dramatic and lazy. I think when depression hits I climb into a little hidey hole where no one sees me so they are not aware of the downs. My ups are me being super cheerful, outgoing, productive and spiritual whilst hiding the more "sinful" extravagance.

I think others with similar diagnoses recognise each other - i.e. informed people. I was drawn to a person (later a friend) who I later discovered has bipolar and I was finally able to recognise the similarities and be properly diagnosed.
That is relieving thats almost exactly how I am but I think I may be more then just bipolar.

A

Askerofquestions

A spoke to a therapist a month ago she said I was showing signs of schizophrenia 🤷‍♂️