• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are you a mature soul?

Kerome

Kerome

Are You a Mature Soul? - Waking Times : Waking Times

What does it mean that the Soul is mature or immature?

If, during your spiritual Journey, you ask yourself the question: “What do I expect from life?” and you give an honest answer, the quality of that answer contains the response to the question of the Soul’s maturity.

The immature Soul is always full of desires, it has ambitions and objectives it intends to achieve, whether these ambitions are of the lowest order (money, power) or of the most sophisticated ones (religious devotion, spiritual self-implementation). Reaching these goals always requires time, so future is always important for the immature Soul.

If the immature Soul has spiritual objectives, than it may suspect that all important things take place in the Now, here and now, but the Soul still uses the present moment as a springboard to get to its future objectives. A mature Soul is beyond its desires and ambitions bound to shapes and forms. The realization that achieving the goals and ambitions did not bring it real happiness, made it mature. It may have brought temporary satisfaction, but not lasting happiness.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I do feel like a mature soul, for sure. :)

The immature Soul is always full of desires, it has ambitions and objectives it intends to achieve, whether these ambitions are of the lowest order (money, power) or of the most sophisticated ones (religious devotion, spiritual self-implementation). Reaching these goals always requires time, so future is always important for the immature Soul.
See, none of those sorts of things drive or motivate me.
It's interesting to note that in this article they say that the future is important for the immature soul.
I've almost felt there is something wrong with me for not being future-orientated and more interested in the here and now, so it's nice to see an alternative perspective on that.

Kerome

Kerome

I think there is a certain something to the article, after all a more mature soul would probably be better at guiding the mind and the heart to the things that are the goals for this lifetime. While a less mature soul would likely be swept up in societies priorities and goals, money, career ladders and all that which we get fed into us from youth by the systems around us.

But I think there is a danger of confusing maturity of mind and heart with maturity of the soul. Not caring so much about ambitions and desires is very much a maturity of mind thing, I think this is a journey that most people go on as they become a bit older, past forty or fifty when the fire doesn't burn quite as bright as it did at twenty or thirty.

What can we truly say about the goals of the soul? I think at first it you can think about breadth of experience, relationships with others, learning about boundaries, and later on about enlightenment, the phenomena around the question "who am I?" Even at the level of the soul there must be questions of self realisation.

M

Michael

Founding Member
An interesting post.
A priest once said to me that the greatest gift God gave to mankind was the gift of free will. Now my free will is controlled by my concious and that was built by my upbringing. At times I don't feel in control, as if someone/thing is directing me where to go. As a small boy I was lead to believe it was the devil, now I believe it is something that makes me over analise.
Either way I struggle with the knowing and the believing. I do believe, but like Thomas I have a need to know. I just have to be patient and I will find what I believe to be the truth.
I once collapsed and whilst the Nurses were attending to me I rose above them and looked down, I heard and saw them, then I was abrubtly taken back and described the scene to the Nurses who promptly sent me for a mental health assesment - to which the Doctor I saw just said ''Bloody Nurses'' and sent me home with the words following me of enjoy life!
At this late stage in my life I am coming to the belief that true spirituality is to appreciate what you have and the surrounding you are in, this then leads to a more peaceful mind and therefore life.

Here I am prattling on again, sorry, hope it all makes sense!
Michael

G

Golden

I get confused as sometimes I think I am way behind everyone else and sometimes think I'm too far ahead. Spiritually and mental health absolutely must be linked imo. It must be.

I've been through desires of objects, marriage and children, holidays, academic superiority, and I've realised they mean nothing.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I am pretty certain I used to live as a rat, so I could be a fairly new soul. :sorry:

calypso

calypso

Admin
I am not sure its an either or. I suspect we are all a bit of both in different situations. I'm not sure I believe in old souls and young souls either, I think we are just souls who each have a lot to learn and to teach each other.

Kerome

Kerome

I am pretty certain I used to live as a rat, so I could be a fairly new soul. :sorry:
I wouldn't worry about it, there are bound to be lots of very new souls around since the world population is now so very much higher than it used to be even just a hundred years ago. Great opportunities for promotion!

One shouldn't underestimate the animal sides of the emotional complex, it is much simpler and more direct than the complicated processing that goes on around words and language, kind of a base of communications and lived experience which is closer to the core.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't know Brat, you seem to be drawn to spirituality and also see your interest in NDEs.. I reckon you could be an old soul.
I think there's a certain amount of 'amnesia' that we all get when we incarnate into a new life.. and I think the journey of life is all about the learning and remembering.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This is a link to a test in case anybody is interested.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...tIOhacOlcb2rHbqYQ&sig2=zfPqy0iiyWmC8CebN_oC3Q

I received 80%
As an Old Soul, you find that your outlook on life is vastly different and more matured than those around you. As a result, you tend to live your life internally, walking your own solitary path, while everyone else walks another. Therefore, you often feel alien among other people, and can experience profound feelings of loneliness. You may find that you:

⦁ Tend to be a loner.
⦁ Love knowledge, wisdom and truth.
⦁ Are spiritually inclined.
⦁ Understand the transience of life.
⦁ Tend to be thoughtful and introspective.
⦁ See the “bigger picture”.
⦁ Avoid materialism.
⦁ Tend to feel “old”, e.g. world wary, mentally tired or detached.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

Lol, the new age debate around being an old soul and how nobody wants to be a young soul has always amused me a lot, as if there is some great amount of status to be derived from being an old soul. I always thought it was something to have a good laugh about.

But really the question about how mature is your approach to dealing with your soul is a much more interesting question. An old soul could have an immature approach, or a young soul a mature approach. But it's worthwhile to think about what it means to have a soul and how you go about interacting with it.

To what extent do you need to let your soul have a say in what you do, and how do you go about consulting it? What might it be interested in having a say in?

When I was deciding about where I wanted to live next, I made a shortlist of places. Then I did a kind of visualisation exercise, imagining myself living in each of those places and carefully looking at my feelings and intuition while I did so. That's how I found out that the only place that made me feel light and happy was back in Holland. That was my attempt at consulting my deeper self, or soul. And I have to say it has worked out pretty well.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I had a slight inkling I posted a link which was quite basic, not thorough and in depth, probably coming from a narrower perspective.
I believe everybody can feel that way. The barnum effect.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I don't know Brat, you seem to be drawn to spirituality and also see your interest in NDEs.. I reckon you could be an old soul.
I think there's a certain amount of 'amnesia' that we all get when we incarnate into a new life.. and I think the journey of life is all about the learning and remembering.
Honestly? I don't think of myself of an old soul. I don't even feel 40 years old. I feel as if I am a twenty something - at least in spirit.

I have ordered a copy of Astral City - which I am looking forward to. I enjoy watching the clips on youtube.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Okay there are times when I feel old. And hell I don't relate to the twenty somethings - from what I see on youtube and twitter. It has lost its appeal. But I think I have grown in the last few years. But I also do realize that some mature 40 somethings regress as they get older. Buying toys etc, becoming greedy etc.

They also say that you have memories in your genes - which could be possible.

I also think that too much ruminating on death is not that healthy. We should dip in and out of it, and then go back to life. I want to live again and perhaps regress again.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Whilst reading some of Dr Brian Weiss, he touched upon mature souls. He said that they prefer to live quiet simple lives on the edge of civilization.