• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are there any newer antidepressants or medication no or little side effects and completely nonaddictive

BLUESTAR009

BLUESTAR009

New to starting to deal with extreme anxiety. Never wanted to try medication. I have used marijuana I think constantly to deal with it. Now I realize after incredible of anxiety and depression get a hold on I may need medication from a doctor. However all the medication seem to have addictive qualities and side effects does anyone know of any that have hardly any side effects and are completely nonaddictive?

lyesander

lyesander

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When people think of anxiety meds, they usually think of benzodiazepines, which can be extremely addictive. That said, benzos are usually only prescribed for short term use, and are by no means the only option. SSRIs, SNRIs, buspirone, hydroxyzine, and beta-blockers are all examples of non addictive anxiety medications. Unfortunately, they are still medications which means in terms of side effects, every individual is going to react differently.

Gabapentin's worked really well for me and has had little to no side effects, but I know others who have taken it and have had extreme double vision. Do your research and consult your doctor, they'll also be able to offer advice. Good luck!

frisas45

frisas45

Try Buspar. Never taken it, but it calms you down.

Other pills to consider:

• Lithium
  • Prozac
  • Paroxetine
  • Effexor (Could cause excitement)

Be sure to ask your doctor!

A

Ashgana

When I was going through my dark moments in life I thought more than once of meds but for some reason never had the courage to take them,
or maybe had the courage not to take them,
everyone I knew was on meds even the ones who pretended had the lives they dreamt of.
No matter they said I knew meds acting on neurological system had more effects that is known to us, and that is pretty well known, .. If I took them I would be lying to myself -I know many people don't care about it- I just hated it.