• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

are there any good mental health nurses out there?

G

goldfish

Founding Member
I am a mental health nurse teacher and mental health service user. I am carrying out research (with a local university) to find out what service users see as being characteristics of good mental health nurses they have met. Any comments, stories, or experiences would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

D

Dollit

Hi Goldfish - I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place as How to Use the Forum isn't the best spot for this sort of discussion. Could you send me a private message with some details of the University you are doing the research with and who your supervisor is as we need to know who we are talking to! Thanks

D

Dollit

Thanks for verifying your details goldfish.

I have had two positive experiences with Mental Health nurses, the latter being the better one.

The first nurse was kind and listened and helped by teaching me how to breathe and how to do a neck massage on myself to help relieve tension (which I still do 17 years later). His only fault was that he didn't listen to my experience. I had just stopped drinking but I knew, as I had known all my life that I had a mental health problem - it was part of the reason why I drank. So he insisted that the symptom was the cause not that the cause effected the symptom and it was partly because of this that I didn't get my bipolar diagnosis for another 3 years. A little trust in my intelligence and self-knowledge would have been good.

The second experience was very good. The nurse talked and listened and indicated that he was willing to learn from me as well as me learning from him and we built a strong working relationship. I rang in crisis one day and I heard the receptionist complain that I was loud and angry and his reply was that I was entitled to be. That goes a long way - we need to know that our negative emotions are valid too. I learned a lot from this nurse because he was willing to acknowledge that I knew what I was feeling and that my experience counted and I would go back to him anytime.

M

Michael

Founding Member
It would seem to me that reading some of the threads within this Forum would be a good start.
I think you will see that we are all very different but have the big 'D' in common.
Being very different means that a single technique, response stratergy or model would be very difficult (if not impossible) to construct.
An understanding of MH in all its guises is not easy to empathise with unless you have been through it - and I don't wish that on my own enemy!

Having so many variables on one subject matter (which in itself has many variables) can seem to be overwhelming, it need not be like that.

An ability to connect with the patient, to listen to the patient and with the patient help resolve issues to the patients understanding is the start.
I accept that this only scratches the surface of MH but I think it is a grounding that will help steer prospective Nurses (with a capital N) to understand and use this understanding as a springboard to people with higher degrees of the help requirement.

Outside the MH world there are a myriad of types of personality, this is amplified throughout MH, this in itself causes a problem as their percieved level of understanding and willingness may not be in synch with your Nurses understanding, and possibly there willingness.
To be able to interact with the wide range of personalities is a task in itself, but one that should not misjudged and certainly not be taken lightley

On a personal note, maturity is one aspect that is important to me. I know everyone has to learn, but the maturity aspect is a key in my humble opinion to the ability to interact with patients.

Nurses I have come in contact with I can not really complain about any aspect. Looking back though it seems to be apparent (to me) that they were restrictive in the ability to be open minded. It seemed that an unwritten rule had been put into place that it was important to achieve some semblance of perceived normality and get them 'off the books'.
Whilst this may be good for government targets, it leaves underlying problems and perceptions to brew up within and without some form of ongoing help will erupt probably more intense than before.

This forum has/is a good medium/tool (for me) to retain this ongoing help, I think that access and study of it would help prospective Nurses see the wide spectrum of people we are.

Best Wishes

Michael

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
MH Nurses

Ive had positive expiriences with Mental health nurses in general
Their better qualities were being:
calm, listening to you replies, actually having read your notes if they were meeting you for the first time (time allowing...), 'down to earth', talk in normal language not jargon, talk to you as an equal human being.

whisper

whisper

Founding Member
hi
i've mainly had ok experiances with MH nurses and major factor i found was them being easy to talk to, calm, able to get you and themselves to look at things from more than one perspctive, the ability to be (i know it sounds obvious but) helpful in difficult situations
and explain what they are obligated to do if cirtain issues are brought up (my only negative issue with a MH nurse was on that particular thing)

I'm glad there's people doing stuff on this

stay happy

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive always found that the MH nurses and SW were more understanding of the illness then GPs or psychiatrists.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
The first MH nurse I met made me feel for the first time ever that I was not making anything up and that I was feeling the things that I was feeling!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Other 13
T Other 3
JessisMe Other 13