• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Are there advantages to being mentally ill? Mental Disorder Superpowers

Daybreak

Daybreak

I was feeling a little down, so I looked on youtube, behold 😎, what I have found:

Some more "super powers" that it appears us with anxiety disorders have, is that we seem to be good at visualizing, it's just that what were good at visualizing/imagining, is danger. Also were good at reframing things, just in a negative light. This doesn't seem like much of a super power, but for me it shows that we can do these things since were doing them already. We have the ability to visualize and reframe, it's just we have a tendency to do this in a negative way.

Marrex

Marrex

I haven't yet watched the video, but I like the premise. I've always held that, the way people with mental illness can perceive the world, is almost incomprehensible to those with a more "normal" brain. But, on top of this, we can also see the world from a more normal perspective as well. Not to mention that, while not always a good thing, we're very in tune with the emotions of those around us and can pick up on small ques others might simply miss.

Wishbone

Wishbone

"Good" mood states in Bipolar can be hugely productive. Unfortunately, they aren't always good, and they aren't always for all people. There are also plenty of very unproductive bad ones too. This is why it somehow gets a bit of a glamour tag as a mental illness - people seem to want Bipolar as if it means they're this super creative cool force of nature with endless energy and ideas...

You can have mine any day, I hate the damn thing.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Sometimes there is a heightened yet practical ability to predict what can go wrong or right and that can be very beneficial in both personal and professional settings.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

It be good if we can visualize the future. Maybe learn from past mistakes so that you don’t repeat them over and over again. I also like the premise. I think the idea of us visualizing and using our imaginations seems to be a good thing. Whether we do it better than a person non-mentally ill is another question.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Many years ago I thought about suing the manufacturers of Risperdal Consta for robbing me of my psychic abilities, I don't think the courts would have taken it seriously though. :D.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

For many of us growing up with mental illness we thought we had super powers at some point in time haha

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

For many of us growing up with mental illness we thought we had super powers at some point in time haha
Well a guy in hospital once said to me your not a fully paid up member of the psychotics society unless you have thought you are the new messiah.

jajingna

jajingna

I've seen a few of that guy's videos. He's pretty smart. I suppose living with the complexities of an illness or disorder, one develops ways of coping that would be foreign and unnecessary anyway to those without such a problem. At some level maybe we are constantly trying to solve the problem, maybe not in healthy ways. This daily dealing with an issue (or more than one) forces us to do something to cope. So I guess we might learn a thing or two along the way, that people without such a problem never needed to learn.

Kotter

Kotter

nope... it's a Curse imo.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Well a guy in hospital once said to me your not a fully paid up member of the psychotics society unless you have thought you are the new messiah.
I have had the grandiose thought that someone who is very close to me might be. Not thinking that now. I feel too awkward to say who because now that I am thinking of this I realize that might imply something that wasn't at all a part of what I believed when I thought this.

FallingLeaves

FallingLeaves

I have a hunch that having a mental illness makes us (or maybe some of us) more attuned and sensitive to other peoples emotions. Possibly makes us better at empathising.

I tend to be able to pick up on peoples vibes easily, in individual or group settings.

B

Bobbyewing

People are unique. I think society is pretty fucked up with gross imbalances of wealth. With democracy being bought by companies. With avarice.
Thus the really insane people are on the outside of asylums.