• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Are the Voices Part of Ourselves or Not ?

T

toto

I still wonder what dreams are and why they are so strange. But accepting that my thoughts are part of me and I have to learn to accept and love myself is part of my remission.

T

toto

Mainly insults on repeat and sometimes swearing. They dont seem real to me but it is stressing and reminds me of people who used to treat me bad, im reliving those experiences. My brain basically repeats their words.
:hug:

T

toto

I assume that in one therapy the therapist would play the same situation with you and would support you to try a different behavior, not the psychotic one (shrinking, anxiety). In this way you will close this "page" of your life. You can also try here: what would a normal adult say to these people as an adult, what would a normal adult say about them?

Donovan Stephenson (was EdEd)

Donovan Stephenson (was EdEd)

I still wonder what dreams are and why they are so strange. But accepting that my thoughts are part of me and I have to learn to accept and love myself is part of my remission.
I agree with you @toto ... I think accepting yourself and loving yourself is highly important and essential to recovery. In my opinion.

W

wellness

The thread goes like this : is the answer "yes" , "no" or "more complicated than that" ?

If the answer is "yes" then they are under our control : they have no presence in the world, they can be predictable and can be studied easily. The thing is that I've read in a book "From the Trenches" by Alice Miller that all of the people and voices inside of yourself are part of you and are you. I don't know how true this is or how true it can be, but it's worth considering.

If the answer is "no" then they are a form of aggression. They can be of whatever nature and there is no clear reason as to what and how triggers them.

If the answer is "more complicated than that" I'll let you guys fill in the blanks.

What are your guys' thoughts? I'd like to hear your arguments and settle this somehow.
Absolutely and Unequivocally NO !!!

How can such aggression and terrorism from these bloody creatures ceaselessly and continuously towards you turn around and be a part of you ???? These parasites have Nothing to Offer to you.
They are some Cancerous Mutations of our own neurons in that sense they originate from us it self in the same way Cancer cells also are part of us and in turn destroy us !!!!

G

GTP

Absolutely and Unequivocally NO !!!

How can such aggression and terrorism from these bloody creatures ceaselessly and continuously towards you turn around and be a part of you ???? These parasites have Nothing to Offer to you.
They are some Cancerous Mutations of our own neurons in that sense they originate from us it self in the same way Cancer cells also are part of us and in turn destroy us !!!!
That's what I thought at first because it doesn't make sense that something inside of you would want to hurt you, but then I thought they represent some kind of split that the mind does not recognize as being its own anymore.

BrianHorlicks

BrianHorlicks

How can voices be a part of me,
When they've known knowledge I've never read in books,
And alerted me in incoming danger, near death?

G

GTP

The million dollar question rests in whether or not it was actually a part of you or actually yourself that knew that. If you can answer that, you've answered voices altogether.

T

toto

Yes, there is a dialogue. One person is the one who gives an opinion based on experience (traditional), the other is the imagination. In fact, they say that the right side of our brain is overdeveloped. So it's no wonder you hear things you've never been anywhere. In fact, you can only be a genius if you have previously developed in one of the sciences. Internal dialogue gives birth to creativity if you overcome the self-irony hidden in the voices.

T

toto

The only time I could be said to have voted was when I was in a sect. In fact, I had a mental dialogue with the sectarian in question, but because of the insomnia, at that moment I wasn't sure if the thoughts were coming from outside. It doesn't have to be self-irony, it can be an internal dialogue with a bad person / devil as well. In the second case, however, it resembles post-traumatic stress with a repetition of a situation from the past.

BrianHorlicks

BrianHorlicks

The million dollar question rests in whether or not it was actually a part of you or actually yourself that knew that. If you can answer that, you've answered voices altogether.
I do agree,
But how did i know,
When I knew nothing about it??!

I'm more dominant left brained,
As up until 5 years of age i was right handed dominant,
Then I became totally left handed dominant.

C

CT3

The voices in my head know the future. They can put an image in my head (of a person for example), and I am going to see them later that day.

Also, everything is synched together. People, technology, everything. I see times on the clock that repeat themselves...it is like I am being controlled totally.

3:22. 9:11. 11:11.

mirrorImage123

mirrorImage123

Maybe it was your intuition that you tuned into if you’ve experienced one of them come true.

T

toto

Having a second opinion in your head can be a gift. If you clear your complexes, this second voice of imagination can turn you into a genius / discoverer. During the psychosis, except for the last and the first, I was very creative. I painted the walls beautifully at home, wrote songs, composed, learned to sew on a machine. In fact, I adore this side of psychosis.