• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Are the Professionals afraid?

R

rabina

I'm talking about the "professionals", doctors, therapists, etc.
When I first told my doctor I had heard a voice the first words out of her mouth were "delusional." I was shocked by her statement and she didn't really expand on this. Nevertheless, the word is used too lightly and frequently and without sufficent explanation to the patient.
After I recorded the voice on a recorder and brought it in to her she told me it sent chills up her spine.
She was quite interested, but said: I'm a psychiatrist and I don't or can't get into this area.
She said she had patients bring her pictures of all sorts of ghost like figures, etc.
I believe "they" are very much afraid of the unknown and unexplainable, but they are professionals and should not begin throwing degrading labels out to frightened patients.

Honestly, my own family is afraid to listen to the recordings I have and I ask them "why"; it's not after you, it's calling out my name, not yours; I'm the one who should be afraid.
Even after listening to the recordings which clearly are not my own voice, family is still tight lipped, won't talk about it.
I understand perfectly having fear of the unknown.

Words are important and perhaps the professionals out there should re-think before they speak and jump to conclusions.
More people who hear voices may actually seek out much needed help if they weren't afraid they were going to be labeled in a degrading manner.

Just a thought.

T

terri

Rabina

I couldn't agree more. Professionals often take people away from their calling/gifts by assuming incorrectly that the person with these gifts is delusional/schizophrenic/psychotic/seriously mentally ill.

And to make the situation worse professionals insist on mind numbing medication.

Now, I know they are trying to help, but they never ever look at the situation from a different perspective, spiritual, psychic, whatever. Not in my limited experience. I assume these subjects are not covered in the training of psychiatrists or mental health nurses. I hope there is someone out there who can correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, should you be a person of a religious disposition, this really makes the situation worse, because then you are assumed to be 'a total nutcase' with the connection bible/voice hearing/message from God.

And then you face prejudice of the worst kind from disbelievers, whether from mental health teams or the general populace should your situation become known. That's England for you.

I could 'bang' on about this for ages, and have made my feelings clear in other posts about the subject, but if medication is right for people who feel they can't cope without it, then so be it, but here in England, if you get caught in the trap of the mental health services, then there is little choice other than to take those tablets. Should you refuse to, and you go through any kind of 'episode' which the mental health services consider to be 'not normal', you can be assessed, argue until the cows come home that you do not need the medication and the angrier you get the more convinced they are that you need to be sedated. They can give you a three month dose of the medication by injection, thereby taking over your life, your freedom, your beliefs, your gifts, and get your brain to 'stop working as it should' all in the belief that they are curing you, helping you, come through mental illness. It's no good arguing from any other perspective; they just do not believe, family, doctors, friends and acquaintances. They assume they know it all. I find this a prejudice of the worst kind.

And what about the side effects????

It seems to me we are completely back to the 19th century, though not necessarily being locked up as then for whole lifetimes. It is not the done thing here in this Country to give those with an intelligent brain the opportunity to come through themselves using a strong willpower, the gift of the brain to question and work things out as an individual, learning to cope with natural everyday occurrences like grief, pain, sadness and even happiness. Because lets face it, should you be diagnosed as mentally ill, you have a day off from feeling sad and the professionals if they are around, and you are happy, then you are labelled as manic.

I could spit feathers, this subject makes me so angry.

Pharmaceuticals. The industry would be down the pan should they do a turn around and stop dishing out so many tablets.

Sorry to go on so much. Am really letting off a lot of steam this morning.

Half the flipping country rattle they are taking so many tablets:the other half are forever running to the doctors because they can't cope with stress through working all the hours sent to keep a roof over their heads, keep a posh car in the drive. and buying their kids the lastest designer clothes/technical gadget.

I guess I exagerate. The whole Country is NUTS.

What a flipping mess

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest,

and good morning everyone

Terri

I

imported_softwhisper

Hello Rabina...sweety...and...Terri...cherish...

This... is... a subject...of...great...depth...
Mental Health...does...have...a lot...to...answer...for...
once... attached...it...is...very...difficult...to...shake...loose...
I...attended...the Intervoice confrence...last...year...here...in...Australia...
and...
listened...to...many...consumers...as...iam...
grumble...about...their...experiences...with...
'the system'...
i...dared...to...stand...up...
and...
say...
for...me...its...not...so...much...the...system...
but...
those...
that...
run...it...
there...are...good...
and...ofcourse...where...this...good...
unfortunately...theres...always...the...bad...
ying...and...yang...(positive versus negative)...
didnt...go...down to...well...
i...was...pounced...on...
and...
wished...i...hadnt...stood...up...
and...wished...i...had...kept...my proverbial shut...
i ...have...needed...the care...of...the..mental health system...in...my...past...greatly...
without...this...so...called...'system'...
i...wouldnt...be...here...today...
but...quick...to...add...
that...
not...all...in...this...'system'...
are...
of...a...desirable quality...
controllers...
of...those...
that...have...lost...their...control...or...quality...
be...
that...
of...a short period...or...a long period...
pills...shots...in...the...bahooky...
is...their...answer...to...everything...
a...little more...understanding...of...a'voice'...hearer...
would...go...down better...
i...had...to...get..a...lawyer...to...get...me..out...of..lock...up...
many years...ago...
simply...because...I...didnt...comply...to...this...psychiatrists...will...
i...could...see...quite...clearly...
that...
she...couldn't...
and...
was...giving...me...
that...
all...known....look...of...head...banger...needs...to...be...away...from...society...
do..they...ask...about...what...we...hear...
NO...
for...me...anyway...
as...i...have...said...had...to...walk...my journey...on...my..own...
i...dont...take...their...potions...
as...to...dull...does...not...
'voice'...goes ...on...
potions...slow...our...will...our...production..up...
therefore...
for...me...
life...is...not...worth...
then...
depression...creeps...in...
a vicious circle...
if only...
i say...many times...
they... would... listen...
my psychiatrist...is...more interested...in...my rheumatoid...
i...feel...through...experience...we...help...each...other...
shed...a...wee...bit...of...light...to...each...other...
i...have...wrote...a...book...on...my journey...
i...gave...it...to..my psychiatrist...for...perhaps...a...read...
but...
couldnt...find...the...time...
potions...or...pills...
i...feel...some...need...greatly...to...quiten...their...mind...
give...them...rest...
but...
not...for...this...old ducky...
i...feel...
power...to...Intervoice...
and...thier...movement...
to enhance...the quality..of...
'voice'...is...real...
not...to be shuved...under....the carpet...
take... a pill...
and...
it...will...go...away...
IT DOESNT...
life... goes...on...praise...be...
mental health... was... there... for... me... in need... to... which... i say... thanks... to... those... that... helped...
but...
to...those... who...want...power...
stick...
that...
needle...in...your jacksy...
see...how...your...pride...
feels...then...
as...
that...area...is...where...its...at...

i... too... could... go... on... for ever... Terri...
brew yer cup girl...
and...
fill yours Rabina...
its...a long...journey...
but...
hey...we're...survivors...
to...help...
those...
who...are...new...to...'voice'...
is...something...I... dearly hold...to... my heart...
as...I...had...none...

loves to you both softwhisper(xxxhugsxxx)

R

rabina

Hi Terri and Softwhisper,

Your frustration is understood.
I live in the U.S. perhaps where there is more freedom of choice for the patient who is able to fend for themselves.
I know there are good, not so good and the bad in any field, but the question remains: Are they afraid?

For many the right medication and dose is of great help in reducing the anxiety that comes with hearing voice(s).
I believe each person has to find a balance of what methods work and don't work.

The Church needs to re-examine itself on this also for they are suppost to be there in time of need and to give comfort and support to all. Again, you'll find some are supportive and some are not.

But, for the love of God, there is proof out there for the professionals and non-professionals alike; why not take a look at it?

It has to do with origin and training.
"Seeing is believing."

We need professionals and perhaps they are far and few between, but I call upon those who have experienced to come forth and open this dialogue with understanding and compassion.

Why should anyone go through unexplained, frightening experiences alone? They shouldn't. And I am sure many do get much help with intervoice and other support groups.

Spitting feathers is a good one Terri.
I learn some new lingo from you both.

Thanks and stay well.
rabina

T

terri

coffee for you and tea for me. Chocolates biccies as well.

God bless

Terri x

T

terri

Lolove Rabina and Softspirit
loved your posts and your insight. Lost for words except for Godbless, keep within the power of the holy spirit and keep safe as I am sure you both are.

Biscuits just waiting for us, coffee on the hob and tea just waiting for me.

Thankyou for uderstanding my 'rant' about the health service in the UK.

I do go on about it, I know, like banging a drum but it's because I get so angry at the psychiatrists lack of understanding or, perhaps, maybe, I do not understand the psychiatrists. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and leave this spot open for their input......

terri x

I

imported_softwhisper

Good morning...Rabina...Terri...

first...cup...down...
many...to...go...;)
Firstly...I...hark...back...to...your...post...Rabina...
and...
say...
sorry...
i...feel...i...rather...go...on..a...bit...
and...
miss...the...origin...of...thought...sometimes...i...can...get...back...to...it...
feel...you...have...been...guided...to...emphasise...your...statement...

Are they afraid?

a...very...important...factor...
well...to...my...opinion...
and...
stress...
mine...alone...
psychiatrists...are...very...gifted...people...
as...a...in...the...caring...field...
which...when...digressed...
is...
the vast...majority...of...life...
psychiatrists...play...with...thought...
to...my...quality...
thought...is...not...proven...
therefore...their... science...to...it...
is...unfounded...
other...
than...
statistics...of...other...learners...to...this...field...
they...take...it...upon...themselves...
to...diagnose...
our...
quality...
by...instruction...of..their...learning...
we...follow...like...lambs...to...the...sheep...
we...think...
as...
in...
our...mood...at...the...time...
must...be...a...lower...existence...to...self...
therefore...require...a....psychiatrist...
to....help...
we...stick...fast...to...any...remedy...to...improve...our...lost...quality...
we...take...their...potions...
learnings...they...have...on...others...who...have...taken...
we...are...all...
individuals...
unique...
if...potions...do..not..help...
then...
more...is...saught...
a...sort...of...game...with...self...healing...
im...NOT...stating...
that...pill...taking...shouldnt...be..done...
as...for...some...
greatly...needed...to...help....relieve...stress...of...a 'voice'...telling...you...to...do...what...you...dont...want...to...
getting back to ........FEAR......
for...myself...
to...stand...up...
and...
be...accounted...for...was...a...great...achievement...
to...do...this...
takes...great...courage...
believe...me...
to...go...to..a psychiatrist..
and...
say...
this...is...happening...to...me...
im...NOT...silly...
im...NOT...bookworthy...as...in...education wise...qualifications...
but...im...NOT...uninteligent...
i...know...there...
is...something...happening...to...me...
that..
in...the...early days...sent...me..a...bit...off...the rails...
but...
look...at...me... (talking to the psychiatrist...by... the way;))
I'm...producing art...that...i...had...no...notion...to...before...
i...write...so...much...
i...think...straight...
good values...
i...do...hear...not...so...good...
and...
harmful...
but...
now...
choose...to...due...to...MY...learnings...stick...to...the..enhancement...which..is..always...a...loving ...approach...
i...look...to...you...Mr psychiatrist...with...my...head...high...
not...low...and...hanging...on...your...every...word...of...others..learnings..as...to...what...is...happening...to...me...
I...look...to....you...
and...
see...
blank...
your...eyes...are...your...soul...
and...
there...is...no...value...there...of..knowledge...to...help...me...
you...have...your...so...called...bible (mims)...
there... is... nothing...in...your...bible...
that...
can...help...me..
ive..been..through..it...and..back...
and...
yooooo hooooo...is...still...there...
for...my...conclusion...Rabina...
psychiatrists...not... all...i stress...
only...those...
that...cant...see...further...than...their...noses...
need...a...lesson...in...manners...
listen...
is...the...key...word...for...me...
and...yes...
your... vacant...soul...look...
is...i...dont...understand...this...
and...to....not...
understand...
for...my...humble...mind...
strikes...a...cord...of...fear...
no...matter...
the situation...
or...the pedigree...
you...have...

i...would...dearly...love...to...find..an...organisation..
that...
would...
listen...
to...
my..knowledge..gained...by...'voice'...

remembering...no...better...than..tuther...
intuition...is...another...'voice'...
that...
silent...
'voice'...is...what...keeps...me..ticking...

much regards...to...you..both...need...a cuppa...
tea...for...one...
whats...your...potion...Rabina...

loves...softwhisper(xxxhugsxxx)

R

rabina

Softwhisper,

Always so positive and I admire you for that; it gives help and hope to others.

My potion is coffee; thank you.

I guess I know deep down that no doctor can take away this voice that calls my name continually from morn. till night.
I have what I believe to be a "haunting" and for no good reason.
That is where I say; your words are unimportant and meaningless for they are.
I basically want to kill it, but I can't get my hands on it.
So, as you can see, I take slightly different approaches with this thing.
I'm through being nice to it, ignoring it is my best bet except for the occassional cursing at it.

Still, I would like to hear from someone in the professional area on this topic for surely they must do research on people who hear voices or so I would hope.

I don't believe in curses but may the curse of Mary Mallone and her 9 blind illegitimate children follow "it"so far over the hills of damnation that the Lord himself can't find it. (An Irish curse.)

rabina

T

Tim Norman

I wouldn't think the professionals are afraid. The education they receive should prepare them for odd or shocking situations.

Obviously...they may have fears regarding the patients health & well being. Unfortunately, the cure is often worse than the symptoms themselves (in some severe cases people cannot function in society without them).

Anti-psychotics, on average, shorten your life span by 10 years. Throw smoking into the mix, subtract another 10 years. Further, add a 35% mortality rate by the age of 40 for those diagnosed as schizophrenic of schizo-affective.

Terrible. It sickens me.

Returncc

Returncc

I like your post, it would be nice if professionals were abel to organize information from voice hearers until the very many tricks and contents of the experience are succinctly collected and explained. I think the voices are very intelligent and copy intelligence, and they can change over time or describe their own situation. I have the voices on tape too. I think voice hearers who understand what they are up against should try to organize support for each other to earn freedom from the pressures of common problems like saftey. Not even the medical field is immune to pressure that surrounds schizophreics. I think there is a reason why voices aim to disspossess their victims. Could you imagine if professionals undertook to support those who spirituall fight inhuman voices trapped by god.

R

rabina

I don't think the professionals do receive education on how to deal with these types of situations such as voice hearers or people who experience paranormal activity, etc.

But, I do believe they should be delving deeply into all of this as too many people have nowhere to turn.
I think it would only enlighten and expand their perspectives and therefore help in treating patients.

How many are afraid to seek out any kind of help because they're afraid of the response they may get which isn't always accurate either.

Perhaps they are actually "sparing" us knowing that what we hear, see, smell, touch and feel are very much "real."
They're not trained to deal with it as so many in the church aren't also.
Plus we don't have the answers so they come up with a psychiatric condition (as it might be at times).

I, by no means, put down the entire professional field, but this should be a mandatory part of their education; can't hurt.

Where are the professionals anyway???

rabina

S

SuperZ

Rabina,

The medical literature, diagnosis manual, does allow for religion, as mandatory by Federal Law: Here, the diagnosis is Demon Possessed which is a RX diagnosis of Dissociative Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (DDNOS); and the last paragraph is talking about religious considerations:

Medical Diagnosis Possessed

Cal

R

rabina

Super Z and Cal,

You're one in the same, huh?
The information is interesting, but I venture to say that most, if not all, therapists, psycologists, etc. would ever pose the demon possessed possibility to a patient?

Funny thing is that a priest would suggest you see a therapist or psychologist upon telling him you're hearing voices.

I spoke with one priest who put it this way: it's a breakdown of the body. (That simple.)

Another priest asked many questions about my personal life and asked if I took medications. His approach was much different.
He talked about life on other planets and evil and led me to Padre Pio's statue. I tend to believe he knows something I don't.

Very interesting information Cal.

It very much depends on the "professional" one see's.

Thanks,
rabina

D

deano69

i would like topoint out that in england it is better than the states i do aggree there is a leval of ignorance hear in uk but looking back say 20 years it was like the middle ages concerning voice hearing hear all you have to do is look at the conferances and training which is going on in the uk,so i think were there is one bad experiance which i can identifie there is more good experinaces and this can be proven if any one would like me to!!if you look at the leval of proffesionals who get in volved with voice hearing i think it is a big boost for us voice hearers!!lately there has been groups in denver and another state in u.s so i think things are turning around for the better!it all goes down to education and that is for professional as well as voice hearer!!i dont think they are afraid i think the language and culture needs to change in mental health then maybe then there may be an understanding between voice hearer and proffessional!

REGARDS Dean Smith x