• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Are sleep problems related to mental problems

T

Tom2020

I have trouble sleeping. I need to take more sleeping medication in order to sleep. And when I do that, I over sleep. I slept 13 hours last night after taking a few sleeping pills and cold medicine. And now I can not sleep. I need to take more meds but it is making me feel weak and drowsy when I am awake. Why am I having these sleep problems? Is this mental?

T

Tom2020

I have trouble sleeping. I need to take more sleeping medication in order to sleep. And when I do that, I over sleep. I slept 13 hours last night after taking a few sleeping pills and cold medicine. And now I can not sleep. I need to take more meds but it is making me feel weak and drowsy when I am awake. Why am I having these sleep problems? Is this mental?
Forgot to say that sometimes I sleep just 3 hours and I can not sleep the next day. Sometimes not even sleeping pills can put me out

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
You need to speak with your doctor about your sleeping problems. Eating more sleeping pills will become really dangerous. It will damage your body and put you in a dangerous situation. You wrote of feeling more drowsy during the day which means you still have it in you system and got a side-effect.

It can be mental health problem but it can also be that you got an tolerance towards your sleeping pills and need them to be able to sleep or a psychological dependens which you can develop.

So don’t try to handle your sleep on your own instead speak with a doctor. But to answer your question about mental health: Mental health can disrupt your sleep patterns and cause you to have trouble falling a sleep. I know when I get anxiety, I will at most sleep 10 hours in a week and have a few days with no sleeping.