• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are sexual abuse victims being diagnosed with a mental disorder they don't have?

F

firemonkee57

Posted by Alexandra Shimo 27 March 2019

Suppose, for the sake of a thought experiment, that a new psychological disorder was discovered. It is supported by dozens of studies and recognized by some of the world’s leading psychiatrists and psychologists, but not by the North American psychiatric establishment. And let’s say the refusal to accept this new disorder had devastating consequences for #MeToo survivors.

That claim is asserted by a growing number of sexual abuse victims, psychiatrists and psychologists worldwide.

Are sexual abuse victims being diagnosed with a mental disorder they don't have?

This sounds as though it's quite a serious issue.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

It is a concern I have that victims are ignored.

W

write

...and treated appallingly by mh workers as a result?.... yep

C

change

I dunno about any body else, but I am a childhood sexual abuse survivor, and I was diagnosed with CPTSD.

I also have a friend who was diagnosed with BPD. She has a lot of my symptoms, but I totally am not a doctor, so I stay out of others' diagnosis.

I

Ineedafriendtotalktoo

Hi. I'm new to this. I dnt know where to start. I'm 39. And I told my family when I was 12. And I have never forgotten about it all. I e tried a councillor so many times. N ive had to go my doctors. And they are sending me to someone to talk about ptsd..does that sound right. I'm scared I dmt know where to start. X

A

Ambivalence

I suggest if you want some good reading about trauma to read the book, “The Body Keeps The Score,” or any of Dr. Pete Walker’s book on complex trauma. Even his website could be a good start.

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

Hmm... I am curious what this mental illness those affected by SA are experiencing that is either not true or completely different? Do you mean because of the introduction of the internet the definition of PTSD has to be updated to include internet things?

E

eyeore

This problem trancends SA, I was 'suggested' to have c-ptsd back in 1998, suggested cuz there was no official diagnosis then just like there is none now.

Recently I had a psychologist strongly deny I had any form of trauma and I was rather having anxiety. This was after I had told her about pseudo-seizures during flashbacks.

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I would like to say also that those men who founded the False Memory Syndrome organization are NOT PSYCHIATRIST/PSYCHOLOGIST/DOCTORS but they are ACCUSED ABUSERS who want to continue their gas lighting of those that they abused that no way had they abused these children, they have "false memories".

This field is a creepy place with all of the creepazoids who have degrees, money and influence who try to alter perceptions to make it seem they are innocent. What out for these evil men!

E

eyeore

these folks you speak of know about bout trauma huh..

edit, my last post two above is silly and bitchy, not sure if cuz I was triggered lol.

I want to edit it but cant.

dont know why i was whining about a shrink a year ago and a thousand miles away.

Last edited by a moderator:
TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

That's a scary Rabbit hole the whole MK ultra bit. If its true, its the most horrifying thing and everyone involved is evil evil evil. But if its not true, its the greatest propaganda against (maybe) good officials or whatever. People talk and talk but these term come from those very propaganda machines that we should we avoid. It's scary.

E

eyeore

well here is an interesting and on-topic tidbit.

The word "Trauma" does not occur on the MK-Ultra wiki, tends not to be found on 'official' articles about MK-ultra, and it does not occur in the McGill article I posted above.

But MKultra is sometimes referred to outright as "trauma based mind control", though never in 'acceptable' sources, and maybe I'm missing something, but this trauma based title seems apt.

If Dr Cameron ect. was using trauma, it would fit complex better than classic I presume, as the McGill article describes ongoing, not short term torture.

The reasons given for rejecting c-ptsd in the last DSM seem to me a pretty weak, I want to say nasty things about it but need to read more ;)

Anyway it fits a pattern, which doesnt prove anything, but is worth further investigation.

Keep in mind Dr Cameron was no rogue nut with a secret dungeon, but one of the most decorated men in his profession.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

eyeore

shoot too slow on the edit, sorry I said my last post was on topic, it would be on a more general c-ptsd thread, not so much here.

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I read that the argument against C-PTSD was that it is the same as Borderline Personality disorder in that emotional and relationship issues trigger the symptoms.