• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are psychological therapies effective in treating schizophrenia and psychosis?

Gajolene

Gajolene

That's a difficult question to have an answer for as you well know Firemonkey. Without even clicking on the link.
It would entirely depend on your level of insight into the functioning world you live in. So many different forms of psychosis and scitzophrenia and sub classifications, and levels of severity for illness, makes me furious. Yes for my son, JS it would , no for JD it wouldn't he would have to be able to connect with reality for psychological therapies of any kind to work, yet their illness'/mh conditions are equally detrimental to their ability to function in life.. who is to judge who's who in these studies?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I think that many people with psychosis of any sort have far more insight than is often accredited to them. I personally don't see the difference, as someone with OCD, which is technically not psychotic, often have very limited insight into why they do that, as an example.

So what I am saying in my usual clumsy way, is that the individual needs to be taken as a one-off and not granted therapy on a label basis. The trouble with CBT is that there is an awful lot of terrible practitioners out there and that awful CCBT (you do it all on a computer, which is shit, I tried it!). CBT done really well with a properly trained therapist, can be good, but there just aren't enough good ones available and not enough sessions available. I hate therapists who do an 8 week course and then are let loose on the general public.

B

ballerina123

I had cbt for psychosis and it really helped me. I still need meds to calm down the symptoms though

F

firemonkee57

I am getting the impression that a lot may depend on what is being measured ie symptom alleviation v psychological effect of symptoms.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Schizophrenia Forum 3